blackfishfin

Chirping
May 16, 2019
So, we have 4 roosters and two hens. The store promised a 96% pullet guarantee, but I guess not. Tractor Supply needs to recheck its numbers. So, I love these boys more than anything in the world. Their names are Molasses, Storm, Bucky, and Lily. All four of them are having some problems.

Molasses and Storm:
These guys are fighting really bad. There's blood. We put some blue coat on their wounds and a little bit of Vaseline. They have just started to crow, so they're really hormonal and protective. Storm is a wonderful rooster. Fire, one of the hens, gets separated from the flock a lot and makes those little freaked out chirps whenever she can't find the group. Storm rushes over there to assist her and always brings her back. Storm is really protective. He's a very, very small chicken. Like he's a third of the size of a normal hen, but still attacks our dogs if they get too close or bother the flock. Storm is definitely at the top of the pecking order. Recently, Molasses has been trying to take over. He doesn't help any of the chickens or warn them when food/danger is near but is obsessed with attacking Storm. Storm, of course, fights back. The fights aren't too bad, but they happen a lot and all of the Guineas start freaking out and trying to stop them. I can always put these fights to an end by just putting my hand between them. They won't attack me and are literally too small to step over my hand without flapping their wings. The fighting happens really bad at night. I think that they're fighting over the hens right now, but they aren't old enough to breed just yet. They have all the food and water that they need. Whenever I separate them, they "taunt" each other through my hand or the fence by making angry clucking noises. Any advice?

Bucky:
Right now, this little man is obsessed with the female guineas. He's not trying to pull anything with Ang or Fire, our hens, but he is wanting to get it on with the guinea fowl for some reason. The guinea fowl don't seem to care and just knock him off because he's half their size, but you can visibly see how frustrated he is getting. He is getting rougher with them each time. How can I help?

Lily:
Lily was the runt of the group and the target of the bullying whenever we first got him. Lily and Bucky used to be best friends and Bucky would sit on top of him whenever Lily needed a place to get away from the rest of the flock. It was honestly the cutest thing! As they got older, their relationship faded and Lily ended up isolating himself from the rest of the flock. He's really antisocial. The guineas and chickens aren't doing anything to keep him away or teasing him anymore, but he just wants to be alone. Is this normal behavior?

That's all the problems we have with our flock right now. We're just waiting until we can get some hens or lose some roosters to even out the flock. What a mess.

Let me guess the age. Around ten weeks? Twelve weeks? Closer to six months, and you'll have a real war zone with the girls running for their lives. Yeah, if you think you have a mess now.....

You know you have too many cockerels. Waiting for them to thin out due to natural loss is not the way to manage a flock. Unless you get proactive about this dilemma, you will be miserable with the sense of loss of control.

There are no easy solutions. Some of the boys need to be weeded out immediately before you get any more attached to them. How you do this is up to you. Here are your options; choose one.

- Cull. Probably the quickest, simplest, yet most difficult. Recently I made this choice when I found myself with a potential third roo in a flock of 21.

-Rehome. I've done this in the past by taking advantage of the local radio station's free pet placement service. Both cockerels went to nice flocks where they needed a rooster. Craig's List is another such service you can take advantage of.

-Keep them segregated from the hens in a bachelor coop and run. This is really much more trouble than it's worth. It may not settle the fighting issues, and it's costly in time and materials. I've done this also. It is a waste of time. But if you look at these boys as pets, you'll figure out a way to deal with them responsibly.

In the future, select auto-sexed breeds such as Welsummers, Marans, Legbars, and sex-link hybrids to avoid accidental roos.

I can't see this one working out no matter how many hens you get.
You could make things better for the future by building 4 separate coops and providing each rooster with say three hens.
For many people this just isn't a practicable option and works best in a free range setting.
I think you need to work out what you can house realistically and eat what you can't.

So, we have 4 roosters and two hens. The store promised a 96% pullet guarantee, but I guess not. Tractor Supply needs to recheck its numbers.
If you shop for bantams in the future, NO feed store will have sexed bantam chicks. Most hatcheries do not sex bantams. You can order them through MPC, at an additional cost of $10 per chick, or Cackle, which has sexed bantams of certain breeds (80% accuracy).

You need to either put the males in their own bachelor pad, or cull/rehome 3 or even all of them. Soon enough they will make the pullets' lives miserable.

Let me guess the age. Around ten weeks? Twelve weeks? Closer to six months, and you'll have a real war zone with the girls running for their lives. Yeah, if you think you have a mess now.....

You know you have too many cockerels. Waiting for them to thin out due to natural loss is not the way to manage a flock. Unless you get proactive about this dilemma, you will be miserable with the sense of loss of control.

There are no easy solutions. Some of the boys need to be weeded out immediately before you get any more attached to them. How you do this is up to you. Here are your options; choose one.

- Cull. Probably the quickest, simplest, yet most difficult. Recently I made this choice when I found myself with a potential third roo in a flock of 21.

-Rehome. I've done this in the past by taking advantage of the local radio station's free pet placement service. Both cockerels went to nice flocks where they needed a rooster. Craig's List is another such service you can take advantage of.

-Keep them segregated from the hens in a bachelor coop and run. This is really much more trouble than it's worth. It may not settle the fighting issues, and it's costly in time and materials. I've done this also. It is a waste of time. But if you look at these boys as pets, you'll figure out a way to deal with them responsibly.

In the future, select auto-sexed breeds such as Welsummers, Marans, Legbars, and sex-link hybrids to avoid accidental roos.

Thank you for the advice! Right now, we are trying to get rid of them as fast as possible. The problem is that we just can't find anyone willing to take them for us that doesn't want to eat them. If you think that we are just sitting around, we are not. We are trying everything that we can to stop the fights and get the roosters a new home. We are also looking for some new hens, but right now the only place that sells bantam hens is a business that mails the chicks to your address, which I really don't wanna do because the chicks could be in some serious trouble in the mailing process. The owners literally take the chicks, put them in a cardboard box with holes in it, put some food and maybe some water in there, and ship them to your house in a day or two. I would be willing to take that risk if the estimated shipping time for the chicks wasn't fourteen days to our house. I am thinking about calling the company and asking if we can show up to their business and take the chicks, but my mom disagrees so we are waiting right now.

If you shop for bantams in the future, NO feed store will have sexed bantam chicks. Most hatcheries do not sex bantams. You can order them through MPC, at an additional cost of $10 per chick, or Cackle, which has sexed bantams of certain breeds (80% accuracy).

You need to either put the males in their own bachelor pad, or cull/rehome 3 or even all of them. Soon enough they will make the pullets' lives miserable.

Thanks for the advice! We are looking into getting them new homes right now. My mom HATES using craigslist, so all we have to advertise at the moment is on Facebook Marketplace. My mom actually isn't even planning on selling the roosters (online, at least). She is just waiting for one of her friends to say that they need a rooster, which is obviously not getting much done. Most of the advertising is looking for new hens. I will update you all in a future time!

I had six roosters at one time. I tried to make it work for ME but it wasn't fair to THEM. I learned never, ever, EVER get attached to more than one rooster (unless, of course, you have a lot of hens and a lot of space).

I know! I made a grave mistake by falling in love with these adorable babies! They are so friendly and love getting pets and fruits and they'll sit on your lap and go to sleep sometimes. It hurts my heart thinking that they could go to a home where someone would take advantage of their friendliness and eat them. I just can't bring myself to do it. They have names! Names, for God's sake.

Back
Top Bottom