Rooster? Raising Chicks?

1A01C140-9914-4018-BFED-69E3F480CF75.jpeg
BA7BF103-798B-4F2B-B1F1-3C112EC10AB4.jpeg
E1115A38-3E6A-4EF1-AA7D-884EE4030988.jpeg

She's a nice looking one. I had a gal that looked just like her, but mine never went broody. Apparently it was too undignified
Thank u :) still learning how 2 share images properly with everyone. lol
I think perhaps my rooster may very well end up being a hen. 🤔 I wanted 2 share these pics because I noticed the wing & tail feathers have not fully come in yet. Especially the tail, there is a bunch of fluff & then a few random longer feathers. Will it take a full year or longer for full plumage development?

I think perhaps my rooster may very well end up being a hen. 🤔 I wanted 2 share these pics because I noticed the wing & tail feathers have not fully come in yet. Especially the tail, there is a bunch of fluff & then a few random longer feathers. Will it take a full year or longer for full plumage development?
Can they even get broody b4 ever laying an egg? I’m 100% sure that Spice has nvr laid 1. He would b out in the yard & nvr set foot in the nesting box until after sugar went broody. But she had been laying 4 quite a while. They r almost a year old.

Can they even get broody b4 ever laying an egg? I’m 100% sure that Spice has nvr laid 1. He would b out in the yard & nvr set foot in the nesting box until after sugar went broody. But she had been laying 4 quite a while. They r almost a year old.
Probably. You could look sideways at a silkie hen and she could go broody. They're notorious for their broodiness and sometimes ornery attitude. I had them go broody and they were literally sitting on nothing. I always liked the silkie roosters more than the hens lol.

Females can be aggressive too.

Have you checked anywhere else for a hidden nest?

Was the bird in question aggressive only when broody, or all the time?
No hidden nests. Nothing but sand everywhere when they free range in the yard & they are secluded in their enclosure at night.

Spice has always been aggressive but more so after Sugar went broody. Especially now since they have the chicks.

Last edited:
Probably. You could look sideways at a silkie hen and she could go broody. They're notorious for their broodiness and sometimes ornery attitude. I had them go broody and they were literally sitting on nothing. I always liked the silkie roosters more than the hens lol.
Yes! That’s hilarious. Sugar went broody & was sitting on nothing for weeks. Then she would lay an egg & id take it & we would repeat the process. When Spice got involved he would just lay right on top of her... Both sitting on nothing! Both puffed up & shrieking. Giving me the evil eye. They sat for over a month 4 no reason. Stopped then started up again.

Roosters grow their plumage at around 16 weeks old. At six months they should have all their rooster feathers. The long tail feathers are normal in silkies, even hens get them. But a rooster's would be shiny and curved. At a year old, your hen would be old enough for all the rooster feathers, if she were a rooster.

Yes! That’s hilarious. Sugar went broody & was sitting on nothing for weeks. Then she would lay an egg & id take it & we would repeat the process. When Spice got involved he would just lay right on top of her... Both sitting on nothing! Both puffed up & shrieking. Giving me the evil eye. They sat for over a month 4 no reason. Stopped then started up again.
Roosters don't go broody like that. They can sit on eggs and help care for chicks, but they can't be broody. Those are distinctly hen behaviors only (the puffing up and shrieking while sitting on eggs).

Roosters grow their plumage at around 16 weeks old. At six months they should have all their rooster feathers. The long tail feathers are normal in silkies, even hens get them. But a rooster's would be shiny and curved. At a year old, your hen would be old enough for all the rooster feathers, if she were a rooster.

Roosters don't go broody like that. They can sit on eggs and help care for chicks, but they can't be broody. Those are distinctly hen behaviors only (the puffing up and shrieking while sitting on eggs).
Awesome. Thanks so much for all the info! I didn’t realize it was that early on.
With everything I’ve learned 4rm everyone I’m definitely deflating the blue balloons... haha
Hopefully Spice will decide 2 lay me an egg & then my suspicions will fully subside.
I’m thinking the bearded vs non really is throwing me off.
Also the behaviors being so dominant & different from Sugar.
They r such characters. I freaking adore them ❤️

Back
Top Bottom