Rooster? Raising Chicks?

Pics
Your "rooster" is 100% a hen.

She has small wattles, a small comb, a rounded crest, no streamer feathers or hard tail feathers, and a downward posture.

A rooster would have larger wattles, a large comb, a crest the flows backwards behind the comb, streamer feathers in the crest and hard, shiny tail feathers, and a more upward posture.

Silkie hens can take a while before they start laying. Hens can attack other hens and dominance mount them. They can also be really loud (I have quite a few noisy hens). Silkie hens will tag-team broody, so it is normal that your hens are brooding the chicks together.
Tag-Team broody made me laugh out loud. Great image. Get in there!!
(Fluffy Butt Wing Slap)
I’m getting mixed responses & now I’m confused!
Im going 2 have 2 update on this 1. So far no eggs & I know the feathers are still coming in. No solid wing/Tail feathers really on either of them. Although that could b a silkie thing? The blue on spice is much brighter than it is on sugar my hen.
His crown is subtle but much fluffier when he’s clean.
I probably should have given them a bath b4 I shared them with the world! haha
Thanks for your reply :)

Silkies are really hard to sex! I DNA tested the cuckoo so I wasn’t feeding a rooster I didn’t want for months because of it.
Honestly I wasn’t 100% sure on this paint one until I watched her push that egg out. Haha. I use her as my example on silkie sexing threads though, because she’s kind of an oddball (not great quality, that’s all) and helpful to see the range of features they can have. :)
Both of yours are beautiful, and I do believe they’re both female. But if you can get video of the screeching and behaviour, that’ll help us confirm it for you. 👍
Thank you so much. Yes I will work on that.
DNA testing sounds like a good idea! I didn’t realize that was a thing. lol
I also didn’t really think about quality being a factor.
Regardless of sex/quality these r my babies! They run out 2 greet me every morning. They sit in my lap & love being cuddled. We have our little conversations that neither of us can understand. It’s great! & now my babies r having babies. More babies that I won’t b sure about what sex they r.... They grow up so fast!

Yeah, I'm changing my mind to an odd hen.

To test if only one is laying, after they're done brooding chicks, place them in a small coop together, & see if there are only one, or two eggs?

Original post = 100% adorable
Thanks for sharing!
My rooster sits in the nest with his hen occasionally, but only while she is laying. No more than an hour or so. But since neither one of mine are silkies, the situation just isn't quite as cute as yours 😉

049BA1EA-12BA-45A6-A252-890BE31E5836.jpeg 70271F4C-5555-4DF0-902A-AE9C698342EB.jpeg
9B8F691A-25C6-4562-BFD6-98A4120FA76F.jpeg

Here is a picture of the pair from my previous post. I really need to give them a bath!

I’ve nvr heard of bearded b4. Ill have 2 research that. He doesn’t crow but he’s very noisy. Lots of screeching like he’s trying 2? Just took these pictures. Might be better. I do know that only 1 of them lays eggs. He was nvr around when she went inside the hutch. (Sorry I’m trying 2 reply 2 every one @ once) lol I’m new 2 this! I haven’t seen any long term mounting but he does pick & jump on her occasionally. So no in less it’s just really quick? haha
The other chickens I rehoused were quite some time ago. Once my hen went broody she stopped laying eggs all together for several weeks & was sitting on nothing so I purchased some fertile eggs online. As soon as I brought those in they were both on them 24/7.View attachment 2549450View attachment 2549448
I have a hen who used to constantly mount other hens and I also have a hen who makes the screeching noises you are talking about. She is trying to be the rooster lol. I believe you have a hen on your hands💙

Yes! Full foot extension lol

As for his screeching he flaps his wings a lot when he does it. He gets off the ground. No neck arching that I’ve noticed.
He’s got a pretty long neck. lol :)
He also sometimes just opens his mouth like he’s making a really big yawn. He will do that repeatedly. Mostly when he’s laying down.
my hen also flaps her wings when she screeches 🤣 she wasn't a late layer-
but like someone else had pointed out, silkies can take up to a year to start laying💜

Your "rooster" is 100% a hen.

She has small wattles, a small comb, a rounded crest, no streamer feathers or hard tail feathers, and a downward posture.

A rooster would have larger wattles, a large comb, a crest the flows backwards behind the comb, streamer feathers in the crest and hard, shiny tail feathers, and a more upward posture.

Silkie hens can take a while before they start laying. Hens can attack other hens and dominance mount them. They can also be really loud (I have quite a few noisy hens). Silkie hens will tag-team broody, so it is normal that your hens are brooding the chicks together.
agreed, i just read the rest of the thread - it's definitely a broody hen💙😂

Back
Top Bottom