Rooster? Raising Chicks?

Pics
My broodies will do a broody scream, & flap their wings. Looking at your pictures further the silkie is looking a bit more female. I have a silkie that's like that, but with a single comb.
1118191026.jpg
She's non bearded, & is medium sized. Fits 15 eggs under her.

I originally had him with a really dominant male that would attack him. So I just thought he had discouraged him from crowing which was y he nvr did or maybe that he just doesn’t know how or want 2.
Did this just start up, when they started brooding? I'm talking about the screeching.

My broodies will do a broody scream, & flap their wings. Looking at your pictures further the silkie is looking a bit more female. I have a silkie that's like that, but with a single comb.View attachment 2549547She's non bearded, & is medium sized. Fits 15 eggs under her.
Yes they were definitely both broody they would puff up & screech when I touched them. I had her on eight eggs which was a lot she’s rather small just fluffy. When I noticed he wanted 2 participate I split up the eggs 4 & 4. They have both sat there 24/7.
He’s much smaller than her just taller. I’m not an expert @ all! I just always assumed I had a pair. Very different looking. I was told he was a boy up until recently. haha :) Definitely different. I know silkies r hard 2 sex.

Did this just start up, when they started brooding? I'm talking about the screeching.
He’s always been noisy. She nvr made sounds until she went broody. He started copying her. But he would really scream when I took him off the nest. For the longest time there wasn’t even anything in the nest. They would just lay on top of each-other for weeks. haha :)

Yes they were definitely both broody they would puff up & screech when I touched them. I had her on eight eggs which was a lot she’s rather small just fluffy. When I noticed he wanted 2 participate I split up the eggs 4 & 4. They have both sat there 24/7.
He’s much smaller than her just taller. I’m not an expert @ all! I just always assumed I had a pair. Very different looking. I was told he was a boy up until recently. haha :) Definitely different. I know silkies r hard 2 sex.
Do they screech, & flap while in the yard for a break?

I am actually leaning towards female, & must've been laying too, but not as frequently.

Check his/her pelvic bones? If they're open, & you fit two fingers between them, then it's a laying hen, if they're closed, then it's either a rooster, or not laying yet.

Do they screech, & flap while in the yard for a break?

I am actually leaning towards female, & must've been laying too, but not as frequently.

Check his/her pelvic bones? If they're open, & you fit two fingers between them, then it's a laying hen, if they're closed, then it's either a rooster, or not laying yet.
I’m 100% sure I’ve only gotten eggs from 1. I let them free range in the yard & she was always the only 1 in the roosting box until she went broody then he was in there right beside her.
They both flap & screech but he’s aggressive & does it more frequently. He’s also attacked the fence when my dog & cat walk by. Protective of her but now especially since the chicks r here. He started attacking the scoop that I use in the pen whenever I’m nearby. lol :)

Back
Top Bottom