Rooster? Raising Chicks?

My Silkie Rooster went broody & has been sitting on eggs right next to my hen.19 days in they successfully hatched 3 chicks View attachment 2550905

View attachment 2549312View attachment 2549314
How sweet! My rooster, Rocky, was so in love with our hen, Lovie(yes, that was actually her name), that he would stand over her protectively while she laid an egg and sometimes get into the nesting box with her. And yes, he too was a rooster. He had an unbelievably loud crow(I think that's why someone dumped him in our neighborhood). He was part Leghorn, part Light Sussex and humongous and he would squeeze himself into a box just to be near his favorite "wife". He was also extremely gentle to the chicks he fathered with our next door neighbor's hen(our neighbor incubated the eggs and gave us two chicks.) Sometimes the roosters are more motherly than the hens or at least as motherly.

Spice doesnt seem to have streamers. Here is a pic of my silkie roo for comparison purposes. His streamers had to grow back in after i got him.

Females will mount sometimes .. Its part of the pecking order. When they mate .. The male jumps on the female biting her neck. They both wiggle their back end and his tail kind of folds down over her. He usually does a little spin dance first.

Attachments

• 20210103_185739.jpg
    20210103_185739.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom