Rooster Roster...and more

Beamerz

Songster
Sep 23, 2020
Martha's Vineyard Island, MA
I'm new and learning as I go. I've got a few problems I'd love some feedback on.. We culled our flock from 25 down to 21 (15hens and we have 2 roosters a big Buff Orpington and a White Crested Black Polish.) From the start the Black Poli * name is "Napoleon", took the lead. The big Orp " Trucker" is beefy and strong and way busy with the hens. The Poli is dominating massively to the point that everyday he is driving the big Orp out of the chicken tractor ( not sure exactly how but he escapes and is terrified of the Poli. The Poli responds to my verbal commands to leave the Orp alone. This astounds me at how smart he is to understand that, but I'm not always around. He was raised by my daughter and grandaughter with lots of human interactions. The Orp could kick his butt but is totally terrified of him. The balance of my flock is all hens, with the exception of 4 Guineas which I ordered the white thinking they would be "silent" but was delivered lavenders and now they are driving us all crazy squawking to the point I think I have to eliminated them. I free ranged them all early on but live where there are lots of hawks so, since the leaves came down, I have been containing them in the morning and then letting them out in the pm to forage a bit because it seems they have been getting to pent up in their 8 x 12 coop.. with a run that is pretty small connected to a tunnel to a small "stationary" tractor but nothing but dirt in the run area. I don't know if I should try to keep both roosters or if I should get rid of the big Orp that I'm attached to with his sweet attitude. I guess my question is can they change attitude or is this not going to change.. It kills me to see him somehow escape every morning ( not even sure how he can do it but it's not easy for a huge rooster to squeeze under a movable pen that has cut wires sticking downward a few inches... Maybe I'm wondering if this is a species situation? All input is appreciated.. Thanks in advance, I just don't know enough yet to come to an informed decision.

If the Orp is big and strong with a good temperament toward humans AND he’s handling business with the ladies, I’d get rid of the Polish.
Thanks for your reply.. they were getting along better before the winter when they were penned up more. I guess I'm wondering if male relationships within a flock are static or if they change due to season or whats going on with the girls...

Thanks for your reply.. they were getting along better before the winter when they were penned up more. I guess I'm wondering if male relationships within a flock are static or if they change due to season or whats going on with the girls...
I say they might be back at it when warm weather comes back?. Odd i have never had a polish that would be able to be Over any Rooster. I have a mix polish hen and she is lowest rank in the coop. Can you post photos of the chickens?

Aggression tends to ramp up in spring.

But, as you saw, more space = less aggression.

Also, with age they can calm down quite a bit.

I say they might be back at it when warm weather comes back?. Odd i have never had a polish that would be able to be Over any Rooster. I have a mix polish hen and she is lowest rank in the coop. Can you post photos of the chickens?
I'm going to post some pics when I can shoot in a good light.. One of the oddities of this flock is that my daughter and grandaughter raised them from chicks in their house for an extended period of time ( our coop a (Lowes mail order shed) was late ( like 6 weeks late) and came without instructions.. it was a nightmare to get them and put it together so we had huge chickens in a tiny box for a long time but they had lots of human interaction running around in the house at times.. etc.. ( stuff I'd not have done but think it affected them all to the positive ) The Poli Roo was a favorite with my daughter and grandaughter and got a lot of attention and affection. He is extremely verbal and was driving off all other roos.. ( we had 5 total) until we culled 3 out)... I can't get over how much "english" he seems to understand.. he actually responds to the word NO and knows his name " Napoleon".. He will actuallly pu the brakes on if he is chasing the other roo and I call out his name and NO... I think he's just super smart from having had a lot of human interaction and massive affection early on.. .

Attachments

• B and Napoleon.jpeg
    B and Napoleon.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 4
Wow! Impressive Rooster, i wish mine was friendly and cuddle up to me, i hope this hatch in a few days i can spoil a chick to hang out with.
IMG_20210105_003547169.jpg
IMG_20210105_003535559.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Buff Orp rooster and I know from experience they're great roosters to keep. They're great protectors and they are kind and docile (for a rooster). I'd get rid of the Polish

Back
Top Bottom