Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
hello, I am new to backyard chickens and I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. I have different mix breeds of chickens in my flock so I know which one layed which egg and I am noticing that one of my hen, (she is at the top of the pecking order) whenever I checked for fertility in the eggs, hers was not fertilized but my other eggs were. When I came to clean the coop in the morning I saw that my rooster was trying to breed with her, holding onto her neck. But she resisted, pecked, and attacked him. After that he stopped trying and ran away. This happened everyday. Anyone know how to stop her from being too agressive? Also he is bigger than the hen.

How old is your rooster compared to your hens? Were the hens an established flock before introducing the rooster?

This happened to me when I introduced a young rooster. The top two hens attacked him at first, but eventually they got used to him. I'd say give it time.

The rooster is a little older than the hen and they are raised together since they were young, she has been like this since they were chicks but I never knew that the rooster was also scared of her. They are about 2 years old now and she is becoming more and more aggressive to the other chickens.

Alpha hens are mated less frequently than lower ranking hens. It's perfectly normal for a cock bird to be denied mating rights by the alpha - particularly if the cock bird has not earned the respect of the alpha hen.

Oh ok thanks for the info. But she is now attacking the other hens too and they pile up together standing againts a wall when she stare at them. She also guards all the feeders (i have 4 and it's placed far away from each other) 5 of my hens and my rooster had their feathers Plucked. One of them got stuck in a tight place trying to escape from her, even when I open the coop doors and they are free ranging they still get attacked. I tried isolating her but it didn't help much.

I had one like that, had to put a pinless peeper on her (like in my avatar) and it helped alot, she just started fixating on focusing down her beak and attacking everyone, the peeper stopped that.

Oh ok thanks for the info. But she is now attacking the other hens too and they pile up together standing againts a wall when she stare at them. She also guards all the feeders (i have 4 and it's placed far away from each other) 5 of my hens and my rooster had their feathers Plucked. One of them got stuck in a tight place trying to escape from her, even when I open the coop doors and they are free ranging they still get attacked. I tried isolating her but it didn't help much.
I'd consider looking at your set up. Such behaviour is most often caused by environmental stressors (not always). Space, distractions and places of refuge can help.

Ok ill add more hiding places, there are already trees in the coop and outside the coop. And I will consider about putting a pin less peeper on her.

Ok ill add more hiding places, there are already trees in the coop and outside the coop. And I will consider about putting a pin less peeper on her.
Before you resort to the peepers, tell us what your coop and run is like.
Size, in feet by feet, and pics.

You also might try to remove the aggressive hen for a couple weeks, then reintroduce her.

Back
Top Bottom