jessarose

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2020
my two year old rooster has been sneezing since monday it’s friday now
i have cleaned his cadge out twice
is it possible i need to clean the water for him to stop sneezing
i’m confused
help
i’m not that concerned because he is only sneezing but when he sneezes he slightly gasps???

Maybe you could post a video of the rooster sneezing? Do you notice facial swelling, or ocular, or nasal discharge?

The sneezing could be due to an environmental issue such as mold, high ammonia, dusty feed, or bedding that causes inflammation, and irritation to the respiratory system. Respiratory diseases such as Mycoplasma, and infectious bronchitis are common in poultry and cause sneezing, wheezing, ocular, or infraorbital nasal discharge.

Subsequent to the sneeze, if you're hearing a gasp, or honk, he could have stridor where a seed, or piece of material is stuck in the trachea. This generally will resolve on its own, but in some cases requires intervention by a vet.

The video and answers to the top questions may help determine which one of those might be a problem. Additionally, you could open his mouth, and with a flashlight look for any plaques, lesions, mucous, etc. Look over his nares and ensure they are free of dirt and debris as they can get clogged.

Maybe you could post a video of the rooster sneezing? Do you notice facial swelling, or ocular, or nasal discharge?

The sneezing could be due to an environmental issue such as mold, high ammonia, dusty feed, or bedding that causes inflammation, and irritation to the respiratory system. Respiratory diseases such as Mycoplasma, and infectious bronchitis are common in poultry and cause sneezing, wheezing, ocular, or infraorbital nasal discharge.

Subsequent to the sneeze, if you're hearing a gasp, or honk, he could have stridor where a seed, or piece of material is stuck in the trachea. This generally will resolve on its own, but in some cases requires intervention by a vet.

The video and answers to the top questions may help determine which one of those might be a problem. Additionally, you could open his mouth, and with a flashlight look for any plaques, lesions, mucous, etc. Look over his nares and ensure they are free of dirt and debris as they can get clogged.
how do i put a video on here, sorry.

You have to post it to Youtube and then paste the link here.

Could be stridor, could be environmental, maybe a respiratory disease, hard to tell. From the video, It sounds like there may be some phlegm buildup.

Could you answer these questions here?

you could open his mouth, and with a flashlight look for any plaques, lesions, mucous, etc. Look over his nares and ensure they are free of dirt and debris as they can get clogged.

Do you notice facial swelling, or ocular, or nasal discharge?

Could be stridor, could be environmental, maybe a respiratory disease, hard to tell. From the video, It sounds like there may be some phlegm buildup.

Could you answer these questions here?
no other symptoms apart from the sneezing, he doesn’t always gasp like that after, i think the gasp is apart of the collar, if it isn’t respiratory i’m going to rehome him
because the collar is effecting him
but he does not show any of the questions you asked
he looks like his normal self he just sneezes a lot
the sneezing appeared after a big storm at the start of the week
is it possible he is sick from the rain?
thank you so much, you are being so helpful

no other symptoms apart from the sneezing, he doesn’t always gasp like that after, i think the gasp is apart of the collar, if it isn’t respiratory i’m going to rehome him
because the collar is effecting him
but he does not show any of the questions you asked
he looks like his normal self he just sneezes a lot
the sneezing appeared after a big storm at the start of the week
is it possible he is sick from the rain?
thank you so much, you are being so helpful

I am not familiar with rooster collars very much as I've never chosen to use them, but I feel the effects they might have on the bird's respiratory system are possible. If one were to put the color on too tight, that may be promoting some of what you're seeing.

I would try to figure out a way where you're not having to use the collar as much. With that, focus on keeping his pen area well ventilated, ammonia-free, mold-free, and try to keep out soiled bedding that may cause irritation to his respiratory system. With doing that, and you still don't see improvement the sneezing could be due to a respiratory disease such s infectious bronchitis. IB generally presents itself with mild symptoms in adult birds and luckily tends to resolve on its own. If you want to go a step further you could have testing done by your state veterinary lab to determine if there is a problem, and what, but if the symptoms are minimal as of now, you may wait it out and see.

Back
Top Bottom