rooster stomps heads--is this cull-worthy

kefiren

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2011
On the windy MA/NH border
Hello everyone! A few weeks ago, I had two young roosters, and the little one lost the battle against the big one-- the "STOMPER" I'm here to ask about right now. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/young-roo-passed-out-after-day-on-coop.1250828/
The smaller rooster had to be culled, with what seemed like a broken neck. However, as my previous post details, he had spent the day hiding from STOMPER on top of the coop, and may have fallen or had heat stroke. Or so I thought. Well, turns out my son and husband actually saw that the big chochin rooster stomp the head of the smaller rooster ("pointy-head").

Since that fateful day, I've witnessed the cochin rooster stomp on some of the ladies heads post-coitus. Not knowing about the earlier stomping episode, I thought he was a young male who needed to work on his lady skills.

Today, I was breaking up a broody. The instant the broody came off the nest the cochin bred her and stomped her and bred her and stomped her etc...and then just stood on poor mama's head until I chased him away with a broom and locked her into a coop for her safety.

In terms of chicken love making, is this abusive? He is about 20 weeks old.
I've never seen it... Son points out that in our predator-filled neighborhood perhaps a bad-ass rooster is a good thing?

Ummmmm... yeaahhhh! That roo would be chicken noodle soup by now! To me, my hens are my first priority, and this is uncool behavior!

I agree that the hen's come first. A cockerel/rooster that think's that he has to stomp on his flockmates head to be the boss, I believe he will be trying to show his human's who is the boss of them next! There are too many good cockerels/rooster's out there that won't do that.

I agree, I would lock him up now! And with this behavior I would certainly cull him as in a stock pot of boiling water, carrot onion celery,,,,,,, and then find a good rooster if you want chicks in the future,,,

Back
Top Bottom