Rooster turned aggressive

FC16

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK 🇬🇧
Hi, I need some advice please. I introduced a rooster to my flock around a month ago as i heard of the benefits of getting one. He’s been very calm the whole month up until around a week ago. He’s suddenly turned aggressive and we can’t figure out why. Sometimes he will be fine with humans but sometimes he will just randomly attack us (completely unprovoked). I’d hate to get rid of him, this would be a complete last resort, is there anything I can do to stop him attacking us? Thanks
6A8516F7-58D6-40FF-B95E-DE723C9BA6C9.jpeg

he was quiet while settling in; now he is ready to assume command of the flock (including you). You need to establish that you're the boss. He looks young, spurs barely begun, so there may be an overflowing of testosterone at the moment too. Sometimes an aggressive bird just has to go, but I'd try a bit of training first. There are probably quite a lot of threads and articles on that topic for you to read.

Personally I have found a swift boot, face on to the chest, enough to lift them into the air and propel them backwards, works well to stop a frontal challenge. Keeping your eye on him and moving to confront him front on avoids a flank or rear challenge. Never run away from him. If he won't back down, grab him by the legs and carry him round upside down for a while. If this doesn't work after a few times, I'd get rid of him and try again with a new roo - there are lots of really nice ones out there. Good luck!

youtube got video of how to train then , don't know is it works , the guy got the roo against the floor pushing his head to the ground for 30" at the time , did that for few days after that always avoided the guy , might work for you good luck.

Thankyou for your help, I went out again just now and could see him approaching me in an aggressive way. I stood still and made myself big, I then flapped my arms around (which I felt a bit stupid doing 🤣) and he very quickly left me alone. Would continuing to do this let him know who’s in charge and stop him attacking?
he was quiet while settling in; now he is ready to assume command of the flock (including you). You need to establish that you're the boss. He looks young, spurs barely begun, so there may be an overflowing of testosterone at the moment too. Sometimes an aggressive bird just has to go, but I'd try a bit of training first. There are probably quite a lot of threads and articles on that topic for you to read.

Personally I have found a swift boot, face on to the chest, enough to lift them into the air and propel them backwards, works well to stop a frontal challenge. Keeping your eye on him and moving to confront him front on avoids a flank or rear challenge. Never run away from him. If he won't back down, grab him by the legs and carry him round upside down for a while. If this doesn't work after a few times, I'd get rid of him and try again with a new roo - there are lots of really nice ones out there. Good luck!

Thankyou for your help, I went out again just now and could see him approaching me in an aggressive way. I stood still and made myself big, I then flapped my arms around (which I felt a bit stupid doing 🤣) and he very quickly left me alone. Would continuing to do this let him know who’s in charge and stop him attacking?
Glad he backed down! He’s probably going to need a reminder every day or every few days. When I had geese, my gander was AGGRESSIVE. He needed a reminder that I was the boss every few days. He would try and charge us. When he did, I stood my ground and as his body approached me, I reached out for his neck and grabbed it. Or I would give him a kick to his chest (of course not too hard, but enough to make him back down). I would continue showing that you’re the boss like that to him. He might challenge even that though, so be prepared to give him a little kick as a correction. You could also take out a broom if you feel nervous and want to use that to correct him instead.

Maybe, but most likely not.
Someone 'rehomed' this bird because he was behaving badly, I'd bet. Now you get to deal with him, and if he's your first cockerel, I'm sorry.
@Beekissed, @BantyChooks , and @Shadrach all have good articles about managing roosters, worth reading.
If you have small children or visitors, move him on soonest, because he can cause real injuries, and he will.
We gave up on trying to reform human aggressive roosters years ago, because it failed. This is a genetic trait, influenced by management, but hard-wired in some cockerels, who won't ever be safe out there.
Some breeds are noted for having a higher % of human aggressive roosters, including RIRs. Salmon Favorelles tend to have more polite roosters, but in each case, individuals differ.
Mary

Glad he backed down! He’s probably going to need a reminder every day or every few days. When I had geese, my gander was AGGRESSIVE. He needed a reminder that I was the boss every few days. He would try and charge us. When he did, I stood my ground and as his body approached me, I reached out for his neck and grabbed it. Or I would give him a kick to his chest (of course not too hard, but enough to make him back down). I would continue showing that you’re the boss like that to him. He might challenge even that though, so be prepared to give him a little kick as a correction. You could also take out a broom if you feel nervous and want to use that to correct him instead.
I’m so glad you’ve said this as I felt bad about kicking him earlier, although he was attacking me so it was the only way I could think to get him off me.

Kicking the rooster is sometime very satisfying, but generally the least effective and not recommended method for managing this problem! Read those articles written by much more experienced chicken keepers...
Mary
Hi, yes I’ve realised it’s not the best thing to do but I panicked as he was scratching me and it was the only way to get him off me in the moment.

Hi, I need some advice please. I introduced a rooster to my flock around a month ago as i heard of the benefits of getting one. He’s been very calm the whole month up until around a week ago. He’s suddenly turned aggressive and we can’t figure out why. Sometimes he will be fine with humans but sometimes he will just randomly attack us (completely unprovoked). I’d hate to get rid of him, this would be a complete last resort, is there anything I can do to stop him attacking us? ThanksView attachment 2837115
We have tried and tried to tame our rooster, but he kept being rough on our hens and then he turned on both my wife and me. When he got a hold of me that did it! I shot him in the head twice. I have watched a number of videos and there just is not a good way to make a bad rooster be good.

Back
Top Bottom