Rooster walking funny

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OLTMR123, Jan 25, 2014.

1. OLTMR123

OLTMR123 New Egg

Jan 25, 2014
    Hi, I,m new the backyard chickens.Have been popping in and out checking website for a year or so th:hmmur rooster Rocky is walking funny. He seems to be raising his feet up high and then stepping out like they are stiff or he's unsure where he is stepping.One thing we think may be causing it is a chicken we have named BB(Bossy Britches) She insists on pushing under Rocky in the coop at night and I think she stays there all night.The first time my husband saw it he thought she was dead,her head was laying sideways sticking out from the front of Rocky! But then she raised it up and looked at him. She seems to do it everynight and Rocky just goes with it.We don't think he is laying down or squatting with her under him all night,so maybe his feet are tired or hurting from it?There is a roost in their coop but they don't seem to like it and have never used it.His feet don't look damaged but, it has been unusually cold here a few times recently around 17 degrees.He also is standing on one foot from time to time more than usual. Does anyone have any ideas and if you think it is from BB how can we make her stop pushing up under him? thanks!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Does your rooster have any vision problems / maybe big crest obscuring his sight??? Animals that don't see well tend to walk like that and be somewhat hesitant because they aren't sure where they are walking. For that reason they don't fly up to roost either.

If not, I would check him for bumble foot (put that in the search box and lots of info. will pop up.) What breed are they? Silkies for instance do not usually roost, they pile up in a corner on the floor.

Do they have enough bedding/shavings on the coop floor to help them stay warm? I'm guessing your weather may be very cold like most of us are having.

You might want to post on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread just in case his behavior indicates some illness or injury.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you in the flock [​IMG]

First great story [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why roost when we can lay down and sleep [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Were here because Dad put's us here otherwise we would be
    out sleeping on the swamp cooler where there is room to move[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh I had the answer to the question on why I do not roost
    and would rather sleep with my fellow chicken friends,
    I must have filed it in my other feather suite [​IMG]

Not all chickens sleep on a roost and most of mine would rather
    sleep on my porch then go to their coops and don't ask me why
    but I have gotten up in the middle of the night and found Geese,
    Ducks, Chickens, and gunnies all sleeping together on the porch
    and yes first thing in the morning out with a water hose .......
    But in June July and August most of them are out in the yard and
    it just looks like a giant feather bed with over 50 chickens then
    the other birds .....

[​IMG]

And no the feeding is not as pleasant as the photo looks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a staged photo this is not where we prefer to sleep[​IMG]

The reality is the rooster needs to sleep with his lady's but
    it sounds like BB is living up to her name and one day your
    Rooster will put a stop to it ........

gander007 [​IMG]

4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Off topic... But the birds in 2nd pic are so cool!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Along with what Drumstick Diva has mentioned, I would look into this sleeping arrangement of this bird. If another bird is, not only disturbing his sleep, but not allowing him to roost properly, he may be getting nerve damage in his legs. Maybe his feet or legs are falling asleep at night because of his position. So I would either separate out the bird that is trying to sleep under him or give him another place to sleep for a week or two. And see if his walking doesn't return back to normal. Over time this issue could cause permenant damage to his feet and legs.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your flock!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Do you think he can see all right (any signs of blindness, discoloration of the eyes, etc.)? How old is he? The strange walking could just be normal for him, or it could be a sign of injury, a vitamin deficiency, or Marek's disease. Him standing on one foot often isn't that unusual--a lot of chickens do that when it is cold, to warm up their feet.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you. Some birds seem to just walk high naturally. I have a Wyandotte that often steps high, but is perfectly normal otherwise.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Check his feet! It is possible that with this hen 'lifting' him up at night his feet have become frozen. High stepping, stiff walking can be a sign of frozen feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by