Rooster with Bright Red Skin

Nov 6, 2020
Midwest US
Hello,

I have recently noticed that the skin of my rooster, Rocky (15 months old), is much redder than I have ever seen on a chicken, and it does not seem normal. It is a bit rough, chapped and unhealthy looking. The redness is the most pronounced in the vent/abdomen area, and the only place that seems to be a normal skin color is at the base of his neck. I will post a picture shortly. I have read that red legs in roosters (from foot to the beginning of the thigh) can be due to hormones or circulation, but I have not read anything about the skin anywhere else (other than in the comb and wattles) doing this. Could it be hormone related, or could he be sick?

As a side note, he has also become much more aggressive lately. He used to be fairly docile towards us, though was always a bit rough on his hens. Maybe this is related to the potential skin problem?

@Shadrach Have you ever dealt with this problem in your roosters?

Thank you!

My rooster has the same thing that you have described in your post. Did you figure out what happened to your rooster? Did the redness go away? Was it testosterone levels like the one commenter stated? Please update! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom