Rooster with broken upper beak.. will he be ok? *Pictures* warning, its a bit graphic

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to say that the rooster is fine!   Well, that is , he seems like he is.  I was not able to get him to a vet anywhere near by.  My vet was out of town and all the others said they would not work on a chicken.   So, it was up to nature and God and nature and God came through.  

He is eating now and back with the hens.  The congealed blood in the wound seemed to help pull the beak back in position as it was healing.   For about two days I was feeding him chunks of yogurt through the good side of his beak.   He would eat like he was starving, then stop- I would suppose from the pain.   So, because of this, I would have to feed him like every hour or so, but not at night of course.  It also made it easier for him to eat grain and treats if it was in a deep container- that way, he could just kind of stuff his beak in it and get a whole bunch of food at ounce, rather than pick at it, that is, try to pick it up with the tip of his beak.   I also put neosporin with pain reliever on the crack of his beak.  I have no idea if this helped or not.  

By the third day, he seemed depressed being in a cage, away from his girls, being in such strange surroundings, so I put him back outside to liven him up.  It worked.   He got back to "work" (if you know what I mean) and from there he just sort of adapted.   He went right back to grazing grass and eating grain, although tenderly at first. 
Neosporin with pain reliever is suppose to be toxic to chickens. You should use the kind with out pain killer.

I'm still watching his beak and looking for any possible infection.   It looks like he is going to make it ok.   His top bill looks a bit shorter from the bottom bill, but I hope that in time this will correct itself.   So far, it doesn't seem to be presenting a problem.  

I will post a picture update here soon-  Just haven't had the free time or chance to do so yet.  

Thanks to everyone for your help and concern! 

Brookliner,

Caught your note there in the passage. From what I read and heard any pain reliever with the ending of "caine" in it, is toxic to chickens. The pain reliever in the neosporin is pramoxine HCI. Thanks for warning me though. I will have to look into it.

I have heard on many posts that pain relieving neosporin is poisonous to chickens, but I don't know what would happen if you used it. It seems like everything turned out fine! Pictures?

I have used neosporin with pain reliever on several chickens now and I've seen no ill effects. Of course that doesn't mean their aren't any. Anyway, pictures soon to come.

This is what a beak should look like

My poor hen was chased into a fence last September but
has recovered and is running with the flock and eats like
a lizard would with it's tong

In time thing's tend to work out
D.gif

gander007
old.gif

Gander,

Your poor girl. I'm glad she gets her food alright, but the poor thing! Will her beak grow back?

Pictures, as I promised.

My guy is fine now. He is eating ok- crop is full every day. Here are some follow up photos that I took today.

In the following photo, you can see how his upper beak is a little shorter than it should be. I have a feeling that he shed a top layer of beak somehow, though I never found any beak parts anywhere, nor am I sure chickens can do that sort of thing.

I'm so glad that he is going to be ok. He did get quite depressed while in his cage those few first days. He still seems a bit depressed- I kind of assume he is since I don't think he is mating as much, probably because of the beak injury- Might still be sensitive.

Thanks for this post and the link for the repairs. I found my hen with a broken tip, top mandible. I will try the tea patch and glue tonight.

I know this is old, but Thank you for posting this. The exact same brake happened with my rooster yesterday. I wasn't sure if it would grow back, but when I removed the piece sticking out he just went back to eating. So since it will grow back over time and he's eating I won't worry much.

Back
Top Bottom