Rooster with red skin all around vent and little bugs!?

Jaymez

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
Oregon
I was sitting in the coop watching my chickens and my rooster was doing his little dance for a hen when I noticed his butt looked red. I caught him and quickly saw that his skin looked red and irritate all around his vent, I also saw some kind of white build up around some of the smaller feathers around his butt. After watching for a bit I saw tiney bugs. They looked almost looked like fleas but whiteish orangish?? I've never heard of a bug like this but I'm very concerned... I checked him more and he didn't have them anywhere else and wasn't red anywhere else, just his bum. Does anyone know what this is or what I need to do to get rid of it. He's the roo of all my chickens too so I'm worried they might all have or get it even though I didn't see it on anyone else.

I was sitting in the coop watching my chickens and my rooster was doing his little dance for a hen when I noticed his butt looked red. I caught him and quickly saw that his skin looked red and irritate all around his vent, I also saw some kind of white build up around some of the smaller feathers around his butt. After watching for a bit I saw tiney bugs. They looked almost looked like fleas but whiteish orangish?? I've never heard of a bug like this but I'm very concerned... I checked him more and he didn't have them anywhere else and wasn't red anywhere else, just his bum. Does anyone know what this is or what I need to do to get rid of it. He's the roo of all my chickens too so I'm worried they might all have or get it even though I didn't see it on anyone else.
Proper identification with require photos but it sounds like lice.
I would get some poultry dust with permethrin in it and dust all the birds in their fluff under the vent, at the base of the neck on their backs under their hackle feathers, under each wing and on their chest.
Repeat this again in one week and again one week after that to kill anything that hatches from the eggs.

Proper identification with require photos but it sounds like lice.
I would get some poultry dust with permethrin in it and dust all the birds in their fluff under the vent, at the base of the neck on their backs under their hackle feathers, under each wing and on their chest.
Repeat this again in one week and again one week after that to kill anything that hatches from the eggs.
I figured out that it was lice and I got mana pro poultry protector for coop and chicken. I sprayed down all the coop around it and cleaned the bedding out. I also sprayed all the chickens one by one and sprinkled diatomaceous earth around everywhere. I also made an at home spray too with dish soap, cooking oil, vinegar, and water. I'm going to spray everyday for a week or two and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom