Rooster with severe coordination/balance issues

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Multiple weeks back I posted a thread about my older RIR cross hen who was exhibiting coordination/balance issues. We came to the conclusion arthritis might be the issue because of her age, and the cool temperatures which were likely making it worse. Posting again since I am now noticing the same symptoms in my rooster. He is also an RIR X, and somewhere around 9 years old. His symptoms are also much more severe than the hens.

When I came into the pen today he could barely hold himself up while running, or as close as he could get to running, from me. He almost fell over multiple times. I have a video attached below. Once the video ended, the ducks ran forward away from me and completely tramped him. He the struggled to get back up. That gives you an idea of how poor his mobility is.
I caught him and can’t notice anything wrong. No ascites, no injuries, no bumblefoot. His weight is also fine.
I’m almost thinking this looks neurological. Thoughts? What could be causing it? The onset has been relatively slow.
Temps have also been relatively warm, high 50’s if that is helpful.
Thanks so much for the help! I feel awful for him, he’s our favorite rooster and we’ve had him for years. Insight is much appreciated.
View media item 7953253

Looks like one of the many forms of wry neck. It's a neurological disorder caused by vitamin E deficiency. Give him a people capsule of vitamin E daily until he's back to normal. It could take as little as one day or one week.

Has it been suddenly hot there? If so, add a little sugar and electrolytes to his water for a day. Those can also be symptoms of heat stress.

Looks like one of the many forms of wry neck. It's a neurological disorder caused by vitamin E deficiency. Give him a people capsule of vitamin E daily until he's back to normal. It could take as little as one day or one week.

Has it been suddenly hot there? If so, add a little sugar and electrolytes to his water for a day. Those can also be symptoms of heat stress.
The temp has risen very gradually, so I don’t think it’s heat stress. It’s been holding in the 50’s during the day.

Thanks! I figured it was something neurological. I’ll start him on Vit E.

Poor guy.

Does he have Scaly Leg Mites?
I'd re-check for mite/lice on the body, look inside his ears for any infection too.
Crop emptying...
Give him a good going over for any other issues.

I agree, I'd start him on vitamins as suggested.

If he's having that much difficulty and is getting trampled, you may want to move him to his own space for a few days to let him have some peace and to have his own food/water. You'll be able to monitor him that way too.

Back
Top Bottom