Rooster with sour crop?? Help please!?

It can be a problem. The link below will hopefully help you i.d. the critter - lice or mites. Either way getting rid of them is important.

There's a lot of treatment options - you can find Permethrin liquid or dust at TSC. Some folks use Frontline and Sevin while other use Elector PSP (Spinosad).
You would treat him plus his housing.
Check all your other birds too, if they have bugs, then treat them and your coop too.
Okay. I'll look for these. Should I go ahead and treat everyone to be safe or check first? I started getting straw from a new place about 3-4 weeks ago. Is there a chance they could've been in that and I need to get rid of the straw that I have as well?

Okay. I'll look for these. Should I go ahead and treat everyone to be safe or check first? I started getting straw from a new place about 3-4 weeks ago. Is there a chance they could've been in that and I need to get rid of the straw that I have as well?
You can treat everyone if you wish. Cleaning out the coop and treating it is ideal.
It's possible the bugs came from the straw. They can come from wild birds, rodents, etc. too.
I use straw in my runs and mostly pine shavings in my coop, but I have read that straw can harbor critters.

I forgot that link for you! Here's some photos of lice and mites

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

You can treat everyone if you wish. Cleaning out the coop and treating it is ideal.
It's possible the bugs came from the straw. They can come from wild birds, rodents, etc. too.
I use straw in my runs and mostly pine shavings in my coop, but I have read that straw can harbor critters.

I forgot that link for you! Here's some photos of lice and mites

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Okay. Thanks! I'll read up and see what's going on. It's weird bc the one that was on me was a dark brownish red but the ones on him are a lighter tan so is there a possibility I could have both? I'm going to put a pic of his comb on here bc it's got dark spots on it and in the back it looks like either dirt or bug pile up.

Okay. Thanks! I'll read up and see what's going on. It's weird bc the one that was on me was a dark brownish red but the ones on him are a lighter tan so is there a possibility I could have both? I'm going to put a pic of his comb on here bc it's got dark spots on it and in the back it looks like either dirt or bug pile up.
This is the build up looking spot on the back part of his comb. I thought about getting a qtip and trying to swab to see if it's bugs but I'm afraid it will hurt him.

Attachments

• IMG_20201026_124713394.jpg
    IMG_20201026_124713394.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 3
This is the build up looking spot on the back part of his comb. I thought about getting a qtip and trying to swab to see if it's bugs but I'm afraid it will hurt him.
Oh, I would swab that and see what comes off. It shouldn't hurt him. He may shake his head, but he'll be o.k.

Lighter tan sounds like lice, but I think they can be a range of brown color. It is possible that you can have both lice and mites at the same time. Dark brownish red makes me think Mite which has been feeding on blood, but....

Oh, I would swab that and see what comes off. It shouldn't hurt him. He may shake his head, but he'll be o.k.

Lighter tan sounds like lice, but I think they can be a range of brown color. It is possible that you can have both lice and mites at the same time. Dark brownish red makes me think Mite which has been feeding on blood, but....
Okay. I'll do that and let you know what comes off of it. Can I treat both with the same thing? Or will I have to do separate treatments?

Back
Top Bottom