Rooster won't breed hens

Cara

Songster
12 Years
Aug 30, 2007
NM
I know this sounds crazy, i've never had this happen before but a rooster I recently purchased will not mate with my hens. He was not cheap
somad.gif
I don't think that he's infertile, he literally doesn't try to. He has been penned with them for about 6 weeks now and I haven't had a single fertile egg. I'm wondering whether penning him next to another rooster might help, if he has 'competition'?

That doesn't sound like any problem we've had, unless our roo was younger than the girls. Our EE hens will fight new (younger) EE guys until the hens decide to accept them as new leaders. Is the roo the same breed and age? Otherwise he might be getting hen-pecked.
Or, he could just have low libido.
Can you let them free-range? Maybe that will break the ice, if they're all running around and the roo can brag to the hens about all the tasty tidbits he's finding.

I hope this advice works!
smile.png

I have a RIR roo who was "shy" at first until another rooster came on the scene. Even though the RIR roo was slow, he has been a really good protector for the girls and isn't as aggressive as the Ameracauna roos I have.
I have two "unplanned" Ameracauna roos named Cain and Abel. Cain is not your sensitive type and has not wooed the girls but has forced his intentions upon the ladies who can't outrun him. He and Abel have been fighting it out lately. Everything is free range but Toby the sheltie breaks up rooster fights so things won't be decided by the two brothers.
I do think free ranging could bring out the rooster's charm with the food clucking and watch call.

He's actually kind of a jerk to the hens. He doesn't call them to food, he pecks them on the head and tries to keep it all for himself.

I'm wondering if he still isn't confident. Is he as old as the hens? My roo, Emperor Fu Xi (aka Fudge), was raised with the older girls, but it was still almost 8 mos. before he showed any interest. Oy! Now he's a monster . . . thank goodness I have 11 hens!
ep.gif

He hasn't come into his own yet... A young roo I suspect... He isn't done growing so he still needs food... If he wasn't cheap do NOT throw him in the pot because he can perform YET... and the word is yet.. The light may not be long enough yet where you are for him to be frisky... they shut down for winter just like hens.. If he has any comb damage it can affect his fertility... My rooster just started mounting this season and it isn't his usual a million times a day yet... It is the season....Give him a chance.. Give him some vitamins and some extra protien so he feels more like sharing.... Dry catfood moisened is a good way to boost the protien... or some black oil sunflower seed and other nuts... He will share better when he has had what he needs... Good feed program equals good fertility and good embryos.

Quote:
Excuse me, I don't want to hijack the thread, but did you say comb damage can affect fertility??? I ask because one of my roos lost all the points off his comb last winter (the other didn't, don't know why). I hope to raise some chicks next spring, so I find this comment interesting. And what about roos that are dubbed? Could you explain what you meant a bit more, please? My roo who lost his points (frostbite) is still the dominant one of my two, and both are mating with the hens this spring. I'd be interested in more information about the fertility/comb connection. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom