Roosters and Grumpy Neighbors

I have recently gotten 27 chickens.... I really, really want to keep them but my neighbors are very grumpy and don't like them at all... (I'm not even 100% positive they are allowed where I live)...

I read this the same way Lacurcotte1 interpreted it. Areas that are zoned with a "No Roo" policy usually have a limit on the size of the backyard flock - usually smaller than 27. However, it does not sound like the OP is aware of the restrictions in that area, so we really don't know.

My advice to the OP is to get this information, so you know what you're dealing with. Your neighbor may have every right to be "grumpy" about your illegal flock -or- you may be well within your rights and just want to sweeten up the sour neighbor with some fresh eggs. Keep the peace where you live, if possible.

So where do I find out if roos are allowed where I live? I have heard that I can just ask at a local shelter, is that right? Or do I need to go somewhere more "official"? I am also kind of afraid that if they don't know of any laws they will just say no, without any clear law saying so.

So where do I find out if roos are allowed where I live? I have heard that I can just ask at a local shelter, is that right? Or do I need to go somewhere more "official"? I am also kind of afraid that if they don't know of any laws they will just say no, without any clear law saying so.

Call your local Extension office and ask them. They will either know or should know who you can call to find out.

You seem to be concerned about the legality of your rooster - but, according to another thread, you don't even know if your 26 other chickens are legal.

Information is power. Guaranteed - if your neighbors are unhappy living near a flock of chickens, THEY know the law! You would be smart to follow HEChicken's advice and make the call. Your extension agent isn't going to tell you "No" about your chickens unless you are breaking the law. Extension agents are always on the side of legal agriculture!

Last edited:
ok, I will definitely call and find out. That seems like it would be the smartest thing to do
smile.png
. Although even if the rooster is legal, and the neighbors get too upset, I may have to get rid of him anyway, even though I really don't want to
sad.png

If you live in a city, it will be in that city's ordinances. I'm lucky enough that my city has them online at the city website. Don't ask the police, they have no idea. I called to report a dog killing two of my chickens and was told it was against the law for me to have those chickens. I was like, uh, no, then quoted the law to the dispatcher.

Hello! shutting the coop and blacking out the windows will stop them from early morning crowing. let them out a little later in the morning when most of your neighbors are awake and off to work. They will crow as soon as they see daylight but its at least a way of delaying it
D.gif

Hello! shutting the coop and blacking out the windows will stop them from early morning crowing. let them out a little later in the morning when most of your neighbors are awake and off to work. They will crow as soon as they see daylight but its at least a way of delaying it
D.gif

Wouldn't that be nice? My roosters were crowing in the pitch black darkness of 4am this morning.

Back
Top Bottom