Roosters can puke?!

mpmb1227

Chirping
Jan 28, 2015
Stanwood, Washington
Of all the years I've had chickens, it never occured to me that they can throw up. I guess anything with a digestive system can, but I had never seen it happen, nor read about it. But today, as I scattered cracked corn and mealworms about the yard, I was watching my rooster go for a peck at the ground when suddenly he barfed! It did not look distressing to him, simply as if gravity were doing its job and when he angled his body just right, whatever fluid was lurking inside of him just fell out! He then pecked at the ground a bit as if nothing happened. Some background info to give context:
He is a roughly 30 week old Cuckoo Maran. Not previous issues with illness or parasites. No other bird is exhibiting symptoms of illness or parasite. His poop has been normal, although its been at least a week or so since I last observed frequently enough to determine if there was a problem. Still doing his business with their girls, and running after them if they stray from the flock. I've had him since he was 18 weeks old. I also just got home from work when this happened, so I have no clue what he may have been doing since yesterday morning. I was keeping an eye on him already, as I did notice some off-kiltered behavior but saw nothing that was completely convincing that he was suffering from something serious. I will admit that I'm not so positive after seeing him throw up or whatever happened. No treatment administered thusfar. I have been thinking about using a probiotic/immune boost supplement to their water, as I typically do once a month or so. Any thoughts? I don't know what to make of this!

Check his crop first thing in the morning...make sure it is emptying.
Chickens don't "just throw up"..something might be "wrong".

Do you feed corn often?
Do you offer grit?

I will try, he is a pain to try and handle. I do not feed corn often, although I made a spontaneous purchase of a corn and mealworm mix that I've fed to the flock once daily, about 3/4-1 cups worth for five large birds. Other than that, they eat layer feed. I do not typically provide grit, as they free range often enough to "consume" enough grit while foraging. I have heard that chickens can sometimes "puke" up water if they drink too much, too quickly. Not too sure on the validity of that though.

I will try, he is a pain to try and handle. I do not feed corn often, although I made a spontaneous purchase of a corn and mealworm mix that I've fed to the flock once daily, about 3/4-1 cups worth for five large birds. Other than that, they eat layer feed. I do not typically provide grit, as they free range often enough to "consume" enough grit while foraging. I have heard that chickens can sometimes "puke" up water if they drink too much, too quickly. Not too sure on the validity of that though.

Forgot to mention, they have been eating the corn mix for about the last 3-4 days, and only have enough to feed for another couple of days.

My 1.5 year old rooster threw up a while ago.... I tried for a long time to catch him, but he was hurting himself so badly trying to get away that I quit. (He was terrifed of me from the second I bought him at 16 months.) I never do anything mean to him, of course.

My 1.5 year old rooster threw up a while ago.... I tried for a long time to catch him, but he was hurting himself so badly trying to get away that I quit. (He was terrifed of me from the second I bought him at 16 months.) I never do anything mean to him, of course.

How long ago is a while, in this case? And is he having signs of illness or anything unusual since?

Roosters tend to be so wary of humans in general, if not they are always trying to attack you. Nothing to blame on your part!

How long ago is a while, in this case? And is he having signs of illness or anything unusual since?

Roosters tend to be so wary of humans in general, if not they are always trying to attack you. Nothing to blame on your part!
This was a few weeks ago. I have watched him carefully, and he acts completely normal. He's getting braver now, but no friendlier.

Okay, good to know! :)

Back
Top Bottom