Roosters in town and sex links

So.... to OP.... you made a mistake, or got ripped off, your first time out, and inadvertently purchased roos when you expected something different, right? But you seem to have no sympathy, tolerance or understanding when the same thing happens to other newbies. As I've read this thread in all one sitting, it sounds like others have had the same experience as you - they got burned once, and learned from it and are now doing things differently. Just like you! Nobody, it seems, goes back and tries the same thing again, year after year, and goes, "Darn! They did it to me AGAIN!" They learn, they study, they educate themselves, they try different breeds, etc.

I think you need to cut people some slack. And maybe have this conversation with your mom. This is, after all, really about her, isn't it?

So.... to OP.... you made a mistake, or got ripped off, your first time out, and inadvertently purchased roos when you expected something different, right? But you seem to have no sympathy, tolerance or understanding when the same thing happens to other newbies. As I've read this thread in all one sitting, it sounds like others have had the same experience as you - they got burned once, and learned from it and are now doing things differently. Just like you! Nobody, it seems, goes back and tries the same thing again, year after year, and goes, "Darn! They did it to me AGAIN!" They learn, they study, they educate themselves, they try different breeds, etc.

I think you need to cut people some slack. And maybe have this conversation with your mom. This is, after all, really about her, isn't it?
You have said everything that everyone else was thinking.

I think it’s stupid how many people are trying to be self sufficient and growing their own vegetables, but when you want to raise chickens for eggs all hell gets raised over the roosters
Right, they should just eat them!

IMO it isn't true. You definitely do need to cook them differently than you would those baby grocery store chickens - think low and slow (crockpot, pressure cooker). Stock from older birds has much more flavor. And while there is less meat then you'd find on a Cornish X it's great shredded in soups, stews, chili and tacos.
Not just how you cook them, but how long you rest the carcass...older the bird, longer the 'rest'.

Back
Top Bottom