Roosters in town and sex links

Pics

bigz1983

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Michigan
I know I might be stirring the pot here a bit..

I see a lot of people on the Facebook chicken sites posting,
"I live in town that doesn't allow roosters and I got a rooster as a baby chick"
"I didn't know it was a rooster"
"I cant have any roosters so here is a free rooster"!

My question is if someone lives in a town that doesn't allow roosters than why would they get one in the first place?
Why not get a color sex link like a ISA Brown, Black sex link, cream crested leg bar, barred rock etc?
You can prevent getting baby roosters by going directly to the hatchery/farm store(don't special order)and hand picking the color sex links yourself.

Don't trust the store employees to gender them and do your research on how to gender them before hand.
Or better yet if your gonna get a non auto sexing breed buy them at a age old enough to gender?
Why risk it?

I know... I know...
"My favorite breed isn't a sex link"

I still don't think its a good idea to buy straight run non-sex link chicks if you can't have roosters.
That's a waste of time. Then there's the drama/hardship of finding the roosters a new home.

I think the reason I have such strong feelings on the issue is my Mom would go down to the farm store and get straight run chicks(non auto-sexing)and then we would end with 10 roosters and living in town the neighbors would complain.

It was embarrassing for me. My friends picked on me over it.

We were the original reason a ordinance was made against roosters in my home town.

Ok rant over.....

Last edited:
Ummm, because not everyone likes those breeds. If you’re so loving of auto sexing breeds, then you get them for yourself and let others get the breeds that they want. Everyone has their preferences, and they DEFINITELY don’t have to listen to the breeds YOU think they should get. :idunno So what if they post an ad for a rooster? It’s not your problem.

Are you stirring the pot or just being judgemental? We are new to raising chickens and bought four bantam chicks this spring. We wound up with two roosters. Would I do things differently next time and buy sexed standard chicks instead of bantams? Yes.

I made the best decision I could at the time. Your judgement only makes me feel worse about the situation.

Well I live in town and I have gotten cockerels by accident when I have paid for pullets of a non sex link chicken breed. I think it’s stupid how many people are trying to be self sufficient and growing their own vegetables, but when you want to raise chickens for eggs all hell gets raised over the roosters. Now I know they can be loud, but so are kids, dogs, trains, airplanes, and the wild birds.
I also don’t particularly care for Red and Gold Sex Links or Barred Plymouth Rocks. Although I have never heard of someone ordering White Leghorn pullets and getting a cockerel by mistake.

Last edited:
Because I'm tired of seeing those and ads and think it's stupid thats why..
If you don't like my thread here why did you even reply.
This is my opinion and I even put in my very first post that this is my opinion.
I can 100% tell that this thread is based on what you think and your opinion, don’t worry about that sweetheart ;)

Not a townie, so I'm putting myself in other people's shoes here, but:

'Cause I hate sexlinks?

Nasty, overly-bold, prone to all sorts of reproductive disorders (cancer, peritonitis, internal egg-laying, ascites, infections) and they all look exactly the same. You've got two options. Red. Black.

EDT: Barred Rocks, maybe. But they're only 80% accurate to sex as chicks. Same with Legbars.

80% where did you get your info..lol
I read scientific papers for a hobby, and I raise duckwing Old English Game bantams (like Welsummers, autosexing about 85% accurate, depending on strain). Unless you have a strain specifically bred with an emphasis on autosexing traits, even barring isn't that reliable.

Autosexing accuracy ranges from 80-95%, depending on breed and strain. Welsh Harlequin ducklings can be sexed with about 90% accuracy in hatchery strains, but with much less accuracy in breeder strains due to no selection for that trait. Barred birds are more easily sexed than most, and can be gotten up to 98.5% by a really good professional, according to a paper I'm not taking the time to track down, but most professional sexers can't pull it above 93%, and most people pulling chicks out of a feed store brooder can't get it above 80%. That's with barred breeds. Breeds that rely on duckwing autosexing are even harder.

Cream Legbars use two different types of sexlinkage, and they're still only about 95% accurate, which is about the same as the professional up at the hatchery'll get using vent sexing.

https://www.ajol.info/index.php/njap/article/view/134139
file:///home/chronos/u-4d4da87bdf665de63eb509c433c04045a7c57502/MyFiles/Downloads/chicken/UBC_1950_A4%20K5%20D3.pdf
https://open.library.ubc.ca/cIRcle/collections/ubctheses/831/items/1.0106897

I'd search up the others, but I've spent enough time searching through my bookmarks tab today.

Ok so if you lived in a trailer park with a 30 pound max size limit on dogs would you go out and a great dane! Lol
Your comparison makes zero sense. Did I say I "went out and got chickens despite regulations"? I adopted perfectly healthy chicks to prevent them from being culled. If you're asking if I would Foster a perfectly healthy great Dane to prevent him from being euthanized, then my answer is absolutely.

Back
Top Bottom