Roosters in town and sex links

I would think that would make it harder to get rid of roosters....don't they have their 'too many boys' scenarios going on?
How many do you get rid of each year, sell, give..trade?
Most of my extra roosters I butcher myself.
I sold a buff orpington x barred rock hen(black sex link)cockerel about 2 months ago for $5 to someone that actually used him as a breeder for their mixed flock of 30 hens.
I didn't advertise him though.
I planned on sending him to freezer camp.

You said it yourself. Many people don't like sex links, and people shouldn't have to/won't limit themselves on the types of chickens they can have because they might end up with some roosters.

I'd venture to say that the majority of people don't live anywhere near enough to a hatchery to do this, and as previously stated, many wouldn't take sex links from a farm store or anywhere else.

Good luck finding all the breeds out there as started pullets. And even if you could, transporting them all to your home would be a huge ordeal. Plus you're risking a ton of diseases entering your property by bringing older birds from so many different sources. I would never bring anything but chicks onto my property. Besides, nobody is going to bother with finding, transporting and risking disease when they can just buy chicks. Plus, it's important to a lot of people to raise their birds from chicks so they form stronger bonds with them, and know how they've been raised/fed/etc from day 1.

It's really not that difficult to find homes for roosters. And it's not at all a waste of time if you get the hens you wanted (which you will eventually. Might have to go through 20 roosters, but you'll get there).

Yeah, I definitely think you're getting really triggered over this. Sounds like you needed better "friends".
Little late to the party..
Ok these topics have all been discussed and I have been previously roasted.

I would think that would make it harder to get rid of roosters....don't they have their 'too many boys' scenarios going on?
How many do you get rid of each year, sell, give..trade?
Well, I can't speak for "each year" because this is my first year doing it, but so far this year I've given away 9 roosters to people who have said they don't plan to eat them.

I guess I need to add in my 2 cents worth here. I am getting straight-run chicks. The breeder can not sex them, he is a guy like us here. The birds are an uncommon breed that I want. I will try to find homes for the males, and include females. I want to promote this breed, but I will eat the males if they are not wanted by my local 4-H kids.

Back
Top Bottom