Roosters in town and sex links

Pics
I wonder what that hatchery did to mess that up?
It doesn't look like a black sex link rooster to me.
I think they gave you the wrong breed?
Here is one of my black sex link roosters.
They look just like a pure bred barred rock rooster
View attachment 1845762
Black Sex Link cocks don’t look like pure bred Barred Plymouth Rocks in the slightest.

If you buy chicks at Tractor Supply or the Farmers Coop they are straight line and you never know what you are going to get. I bought 15 silkies from the TN Farmers Coop and got 11 roosters. I have a friend that bought 6 reds from Tractor Supply and got 5 roosters. We know from experience that most of the hens have been removed from these straight lines and sold as sexed for more money. If you want to avoid roosters you have to pay more for sexed ones from a hatchery. Another solution is to eat the roosters. When young they are very tasty but when they start crowing they are not so tasty.
Is that true about them not tasting as good when they start crowing? Just curious. I’d love to think I could cull unwanted roosters but not sure if I could.

My breeder guarentees gender. If you end up with a male he will swap it out for a female. I had a Lavender Orpington that turned out to be a cockerel. Because he cost me more my breeder let me decide between another Lavender Orpington pullet or 2 pullets of some of his less costly breeds. I took a SLW and an EE. When a second LO turned out to be male I decided to keep him. My breeder was shocked that he made such a mistake not once but twice! He said he still owed me a pullet and gave me my choice of breed. I don't add single birds to a flock so I bought my free bird a buddy. Chicken math strikes again. I will stick with this breeder not because he's perfect at discerning chicken sexes but because of his honest business practices.
Where is he? I’d like to work with him.

Black Sex Link cocks don’t look like pure bred Barred Plymouth Rocks in the slightest.
Yes they do
20190402_185425.jpg

Is that true about them not tasting as good when they start crowing? Just curious. I’d love to think I could cull unwanted roosters but not sure if I could.
IMO it isn't true. You definitely do need to cook them differently than you would those baby grocery store chickens - think low and slow (crockpot, pressure cooker). Stock from older birds has much more flavor. And while there is less meat then you'd find on a Cornish X it's great shredded in soups, stews, chili and tacos.

Back
Top Bottom