Roosters kept seperate?

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I have some pullets and some straight run baby chicks. I have decided when the time comes to put them in the coop with my pullets that any hens will go in with them but any roosters i get i'm going to keep seperate from them until i decide i want some baby chicks. Is this ok to do? I though it was but some of the posts of their roosters and hens sharing the same coop has made me wonder if i need to or if this is just there decision.

I think it depends on personal choice--I have 3 Lav silkie roos and a partridge roo, and 1 BO roo- living with 1 BO hen-1 lght Brahma pullet-1 Dark brahma pullet-1 miller fluer pullet-they all get along great-14-15 weeks old-I have 25 others 3 weeks old living in a huge brooder in garage-theres chest bumping going on but nothing bad-the otehrs did that at that age too and it went away when the pecking order was figured out...as long as mine get along-they stay together-now when they start to lay eggs--whole nother ball game for me-seperating for breeding purposes---good luck~

It never occurred to me to separate my rooster from my hens unless I'm specifically hatching a certain purebreed, and then in that case, the hens and rooster of that particular breed would be segregated from the rest.

You don't need to have a rooster at all for them to lay eggs. But I like having a rooster because they watch over their hens and alert me when there are problems.

Are you eating the eggs? Because all you have to do is collect them daily and refrigerate them. That will stop any internal production in the egg. And anyway, you won't have chicks unless you have a broody or if you incubate them.

It has been my experience that roosters without hens are a very unhappy lot. It makes them mean, or meaner. The hens could not care less about the roosters.

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom