roosters neck was skinned in a mink attack

suedet

Hatching
Feb 3, 2016
A week a go a mink got into the hen house at night, killed 2 hens and completely removed all the skin on the back of the roosters neck.I didn't think he was going to make it at first as he was standing there with his head on the ground. I rinsed his neck off and decided to give him a day or two to see how he was. He seemed to be hanging in there so I thought I would let him be and hope for the best. After 2 days I realized he wasn't eating or drinking so I started giving him water and beef broth with a syringe several times a day and then food. I had to open his beak and put the food into his mouth, which he then was able to swallow.I have been doing this for 4 days now and he seems to be improving overall but I don't know why he isn't eating and drinking on his own.Obviously I can't continue to feed him for the rest of his days. The neck is hard and dry and black. I wonder if its too stiff for him to bend it to feed but even when i hold the food right up to his beak he doesn't try to get it. We have come this far and I will continue to do whats needed if it will work. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
He's probably in a lot of pain and shock. You can try to tempt him with food that smells good, like applesauce mixed in crumbles, or buttermilk soaked break crumbs, or banana, or baby food. Beef broth might have a lot of salt in it, which isn't real good for them, you might want to think about switching it out for something like diluted applesauce or yogurt or buttermilk, or even better, baby bird formula which is available at pet stores, and add some poultry vitamins/ electrolytes. Maybe spray the neck with Veterycin spray, to keep the skin moist and help with healing. It sounds like what you are doing is working, so just keep at it is what I'd suggest. It will take awhile, when you put yourself in his place, it kinda puts things in perspective.

Thank you, i will try to keep his neck moist now, i forgot to mention i had switched from beef broth to water and will try the apple sauce.

i will just keep going and hope the worst is behind us.

If he can swallow, you could mix up a kind of slurry--liquid but with food in it. Could make that out of yogurt & tuna or anything super nutritious.

Well yes he can swallow and I have been successful getting, rice and corn meal mush, pieces of sandwich meat rolled up and beans down his throat so far. I think the fact that he gets this much food is what has been keeping him alive I was just worried that he had damaged something that makes it difficult to open his beak as I do that for him. I have left his neck alone so far and it looks dry and hard so should I moisten it now or leave it alone? The attack was a week ago.

thanks

Maybe try dabbing some Triple antibiotic ointment on it...don't use the kind with pain reliever. I would try the Veterycin spray, let it dry, them maybe follow up with the ointment. As far as nutrients, I'm not sure about beans, I'm not sure they are good for chickens, likewise the sandwich meat, again, probably too much salt, and not sure the nutrient value of sandwich meat..hmm. Baby food works well. Fluids are the most important thing he needs, and vitamins and electrolyes. You can get those at any feed store, they are not expensive.

Thanks for the response I forgot to mention I live on one of the gulf islands and we don't have a feed store or vet. So i have to make due with whats in my kitchen or available at a small grocer or pet store. Is there a salve i can make from household ingredients or how about vitamin e oil or aloe gel? What is the purpose of an ointment? pain relief? moisturizing? softening? Its too cold for bugs to be a problem thankfully. Our chickens eat all our human food scraps thats why i have been feeding him the meat and beans etc. Otherwise they eat laying pellets and free range in the yard.

thanks again

I think ointment will keep the flesh pliable, the neomycin will act as an antibiotic. If he's still alive, then every day he sticks around is a good sign. Animals can recover from tremendous injury as long as they stay hydrated and get adequate nutrition. You could whiz up veggies in a blender and feed that, too. Anything easy to swallow and nutritious is the key.

Back
Top Bottom