Roosters

If you don't have space for more chicks, you have decisions to make. Breeding makes more chicks!!!
Either plan on larger coops, and more separate areas for breeders, broody hens or brooders, and growing babies, or plan to drastically shrink your flock .
'Chicken math' strikes again!!!
Mary

Ok so I’ll get BO Cockerel next year then but bringing a few babies into my large grown flock is difficult because of bullying, so I thought it would be better to get them now small and let them establish pecking order at this five to seven week age ? However my one Rooster is 4 months old so he’s at least two months older then everyone else and established dominance quick so I don’t know
I would wait until you've actually got a rooster until you decide on anything.
What you have is a cockerel and there is a world of difference between an easy going finding his feet cockerel and an adult rooster.

I would wait until you've actually got a rooster until you decide on anything.
What you have is a cockerel and there is a world of difference between an easy going finding his feet cockerel and an adult rooster.
Yes how can I make sure he stays nice?

Ok, let this boy mature first.
Then makes sure he'll even tolerate chicks, some wont in fact some roosters kill chicks.
Now, if he dosent kill chicks you now have to make sure he dosent mate chicks....yep another unsavory possibility.
If he passes then you try to add a male chick.
You still have a lot of time.:)

Back
Top Bottom