Roosting to high.

Mark Cavalli

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2017
I have two hens that are roosting where I don't want them to very high on top of the fence. My question is I'm thinking about clipping their wings I was told to only clip one wing. Has anybody done this and did it change the chickens personality. Thank you I need all the help I can get LOL.

Yes they are New to the flock I do have a coop for them to roost in it's the new chickens that are flying up high to roost at night. I have a lot of predators where I live I would like them to stay in the chicken area my other chickens go in the coop at night to roost and I lock them in. The new Hens Fly very well so I think I need to clip their wings so they will learn to follow the other flock into the Coop for the night.

I have two hens that are roosting where I don't want them to very high on top of the fence. My question is I'm thinking about clipping their wings I was told to only clip one wing. Has anybody done this and did it change the chickens personality. Thank you I need all the help I can get LOL.
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I read the same thing before my first clipping.. And that's what I did. One was a rooster the other an EE hen. In both instances with only one wing clipped they could still make it. I followed through with doing the second wing on both birds. Close bilateral and it worked.

Many people won't do that for fear of diminished predator evasion. Well, I don't have worry for daytime ground predators except for on the other side of my fence (6 ft), where the EE was always trying to go. She liked to lay in the barn which she had to go around to do. Once her second wing was clipped and she could no longer make it over the fence, she would try to race through the door when I opened it.

The rooster was clipped to keep him inside my stag pen (4.5 ft fence) instead of over with the ladies.

In no way shape or form did wing clipping change the personality of either bird. But it did increase their safety!

My personal experience say close bilateral will work best. The idea of one side is so it makes them unbalanced. But both sides takes away their lift. They can still jump pretty high, just not clear fences as easily.

Good luck. :)

Yes they are New to the flock I do have a coop for them to roost in it's the new chickens that are flying up high to roost at night. I have a lot of predators where I live I would like them to stay in the chicken area my other chickens go in the coop at night to roost and I lock them in. The new Hens Fly very well so I think I need to clip their wings so they will learn to follow the other flock into the Coop for the night.
They are new so yes, you need to do something to change the behaviour...Are the others pecking and chasing them?..Did you put them in a look no touch pen?

Yes they are in a different cage in the middle of the coop so the others can get used to them it's been one week now in the cage. I had them out a few days ago and my girls were chasing them all over the place and packing at them. That's how I know how well they fly that night they were up on the 12 foot fence roosting. Now they are starting to get used to one another so before I try putting them together again I think I need to clip one wing so this won't happen again do you think I should only clip one wing or both wings this is new to me. And how long do you think I should leave them in this other cage for them to get used to one another. Thank you

Yes they are in a different cage in the middle of the coop so the others can get used to them it's been one week now in the cage. I had them out a few days ago and my girls were chasing them all over the place and packing at them. That's how I know how well they fly that night they were up on the 12 foot fence roosting. Now they are starting to get used to one another so before I try putting them together again I think I need to clip one wing so this won't happen again do you think I should only clip one wing or both wings this is new to me. And how long do you think I should leave them in this other cage for them to get used to one another. Thank you
It can take weeks..How big is the Coop and Run?...How many Birds and Breeds...Age of all birds...lots of variables

chickens will only land on something sturdy and not moving/swinging upon landing
Not true, and I'm not really sure why people think this...

Do they not roost in trees where the wind blows and the branches sway? :confused:

Some may be more reluctant than others... but I have watched plenty land on the top of flimsy hardware cloth enclosure or other loose fencing and just sit there with it swaying.

My son and his GF just love to come over and let a chicken get on there arm, where they then make their arms flap up and down just to see how long the chicken will stay on! :p

I know all birds are individuals though... so it may be worth a try. Doesn't work at my house. :pop

I would keep them in the kennel and move it into the coop with them in it. Keeping them in the coop should help home them to it.

What you are going through does sound very normal. :)

Back
Top Bottom