Roosts round or flat?

Well, it's been a week, The roosts are at the same hight. Seems they have no interest in flat side of a 2x4, only the short side.

Attachments

• Roost.jpg
    Roost.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 29
I figured they would prefer large maybe 3” round branch since that’s what they had living in trees before we started putting them in coops. I always cut a small tree down, delimb it and use that. Don’t know, heard both opinions. Mine seem happy! 🐔🤔

Sorry for the delay. I've done a few different tests. What I think most is my chickens are use to something and they are not going to change no matter what. They've been on the short edge of a 2x4 with rounded edges since the beginning. I tried the wide edge. I put it at the same level, then higher. Neither time they went for it. Then I flipped it to the short edge, but in the higher position. No matter what they go for the roost they have been on all along. They even want to jam together on one half of that roost, leaving a large empty section. I've included photos.

Attachments

• Roost Flat.jpg
    Roost Flat.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Roost Raised.jpg
    Roost Raised.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Raised 2.jpg
    Raised 2.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 20
And the discussion continues. I think that the right way might be the way that your chickens are used to. Or the way that you prefer. My chickens had narrow roost in the prefab coop before we built our new one with 2x4 flat side up roost. They have used both, but I do remember them being unsteady sometimes on the narrow perches. That's why I went with the 2x4 flat side up roost when I built our coop. We can always change it but when we peek in on them before we go to bed, they are all on their roost and seem fine. Personally, I think it would be hard for me to sleep if I have to spend all night clutching my feet so that I don't fall. Then again, I am not a chicken, and it seems a tree branch shaped roost would mimic nature better. While I am at it, which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Chickens can get used to perching just about on anything, although not all of their choices are healthy and some chickens will develop chronic issues such as breast blisters and skeletal deformities from poor posture while sleeping on an improper perch.

I happen to use four inch diameter pine branches, well sanded. I figured the rounded shape would be more comfortable for their feet, and after many years, I've had no perch related health issues other than height. But the flat-side-up 2x4 is an excellent perch for chickens.

So my boyfriend and I seem to debate a lot on if the roosts in the chicken coop should be round/narrow or flat. I say the chickens look awkward on the square 2x2s and think they would prefer a 2x4 with the flat side up.
I said it once and I will say it again... Well link to what I said. LOL

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2x4-vs-pole-for-coop-perch.1581698/post-26872046

I had placed 4 choices. Flat 2x4, on side 2x4 with 1/2 inch rounded corners, Clothes hanger dowel rod, and bamboo. All at the same height.

Ever time I wood come out to check, they be on the would dowel rod. I even rotated their positions and still they roosted on the dowel.

Took the dowel away and I'd find them on the bamboo. Again rotated positions. Still on bamboo.

Took away bamboo and found them on the rounded 2x4 on its side.

Left 2x4 flat and put back just the dowel.
Face off. Again on the dowel.

Left 2x4 flat and put back the bamboo.
Face off. Again the bamboo.

Left 2x4 flat and put back the rounded 2x4 on it's side.
Face off. Again on the rounded 2x4 on its side.

Left just the 2x4 flat. Only. Found them roosting on the bamboo roosts outside in the run.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom