Roosts - Update!

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Here is our current solution to the roost question I posted a few days ago.

Here is the previous post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/roosts-need-help.1244073/

and several offered up useful ideas: @jthornton, @kesrchicky16, @Ridgerunner, @paneubert, @deepbluesea.

Here are two pics. We put in a ladder style that we can raise out of the way using a rope and pulley, when needed. We can change to poop boards and roost bars pretty easily if we determine that this isn't what we want long term. The coop will NEVER look cleaner.....
Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 10.14.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 10.17.21 AM.png

Here is our current solution to the roost question I posted a few days ago.

Here is the previous post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/roosts-need-help.1244073/

and several offered up useful ideas: @jthornton, @kesrchicky16, @Ridgerunner, @paneubert, @deepbluesea.

Here are two pics. We put in a ladder style that we can raise out of the way using a rope and pulley, when needed. We can change to poop boards and roost bars pretty easily if we determine that this isn't what we want long term. The coop will NEVER look cleaner.....
View attachment 1389084
View attachment 1389089
Very well done!

I wish I could post photos but just being on the forum stretches my tech ability. My roost design looks almost exactly like that, it hinges and hooks to the ceiling for cleaning. The big difference is I added a poop box underneath and covered it with 4x4 hog panels which lift out to keep the birds out. I also covered the back wall with a 4x8 sheet of plastic sign board for easy cleaning.

I wish I could post photos but just being on the forum stretches my tech ability. My roost design looks almost exactly like that, it hinges and hooks to the ceiling for cleaning. The big difference is I added a poop box underneath and covered it with 4x4 hog panels which lift out to keep the birds out. I also covered the back wall with a 4x8 sheet of plastic sign board for easy cleaning.

We did discuss the option of covering the back wall due to ummm *splatter*. We figured we would wait n see. The plastic sign board sound like a good idea, though, so we will keep that in mind! Thx.

my company changed signs so I got it for free. I also paneled the inside with OSB so I don't have 200 corners to dig the nuggets out of. also lined the bottom edge with 2'' wide Z flashing to protect the bottom edge from moisture and shovel damage when cleaning.

my company changed signs so I got it for free. I also paneled the inside with OSB so I don't have 200 corners to dig the nuggets out of. also lined the bottom edge with 2'' wide Z flashing to protect the bottom edge from moisture and shovel damage when cleaning.

That’s great! My spouse has been great with the building.....BUT... he spent some formative years in the rural south with some chickens providing eggs and meat for their family. He thinks all of this is overkill (even though west central Ohio is much colder than the south), but he did put down vinyl floor in the coop for ease of cleaning. We also had a difference of opinion on painting....it wasn’t worth a disagreement nor a long discussion, and as such coop is not painted (it cannot be seen from house, or from street, or by any near neighbors).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom