Rose growers thread!

rilly10

Clover Field Farm
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Pottstown, PA
I thought I would start a thread for rose growers! This is the place that we can discuss roses, thier care, and show off your roses and mixed gardens.

I will get started! My love is English and Antique roses. This will be my first spring at our new home, so I only have one rose that was here already, so I just ordered four from David Austin USA. I got Heritage, Lady Emma Hamilton, Tamora, and Abraham Darby. I can't wait to get started with those varieties!

Please post away!

I love roses! Not an expert by any means. I planted three rose bushes this past June at my home. There are some sort of very old rose bushes that were here when we built the house. They are pink and as far as a rose goes, more on the plain side. I still love them! They were probably planted by my great-great grandma.

When is the best time to trim them up?

I have a Duchesse Du Brabant at my front door that is taking over, blooming like crazy, and the scent is incredible. At my back door is a Madame Jos. Schwartz that is also blooming like crazy, and again a heavenly scent. I love antique roses, they are so easy to grow.

I have roses too. The one plant dog will not pull up.
big_smile.png
Unfortunatly they are stunted although my knock out yellow looks good this year. I also have a puple tiger and orange sunrise. I might get more this year depending how much we work that area of the garden.

I have two pink hybrid t's and 1 pink climbing hybrid t that are over 20 years old and were planted before the house was put there in the 80's. I also have a few white bramblers that no one can identify. The white ones are the most fragrant roses that I have ever seen, but they don't keep well.

I'm not sure how old the plants are, but the orchard here is huge and very very old, so who knows about the roses.

I love having rose bushes but am not very well at getting them to grow the beautiful roses that my friends dh does....although I have asked for his secret.....I will be very interested in learning secrets if they are posted here.
smile.png

I have several hybrid teas for cutting, etc. but I love the antique and english roses best. the english ones I can think of right now that ive planted are Mary Rose, and a few more, Im sleep deprived today, lol. My dear friend who is a master gardner, along with others, have told me to fertilize with coffee grounds. You can get a huge bag for free from starbucks for example. ...cant wait till they all start blooming again! I have around 50.

I love roses too! Mostly English roses. I have some David Austin roses, my favorite is my Abraham Darby. I love the form of the DA roses. The old rose look with modern rose vigor, and the bushes are much fuller than tea roses, which I'm not a big fan of. Gertrude Jekyll is my second favorite.

Quote:
What a great idea about the coffee grounds. Do you need to do anything with them or justsprinkle them right on?

Quote:
I can't wait to get mine! Abraham Darby was one of the four I ordered. Do you have them planted in threes like they recommend? I just got one of each variety for now, if they do well I will get more maybe! Gertrude Jekyll is on my second order list!

For anyone who ordered from David Austin, how long did it take from planting the bare root roses, to getting blooms? One, two seasons?

on the coffee grounds, apparently it makes the soil ph what the roses like, it does work, I can attest to that, I even put some on some straggly sweet peas, they went nuts...you just dump the stuff on, no specific amount, I put plenty!

Ive always wanted abraham darby, maybe I just need to order
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom