Rotten eggs

Donna75964

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
I know this will probably be a stupid question but, I'm going to ask anyway. I have a Cochin hen sitting on about 30 eggs (some chicken, some duck). I first found her sitting 3 weeks ago (Jan. 21) so, if any that were under her then were going to hatch, they should have done so by now. She did not have that many eggs under her at the time so I'm thinking that when she comes off to eat, another hen and duck is going on and laying. The problem is, it is VERY obvious that there are some rotten eggs under her.....you smell her before seeing her when she comes off. Should I toss all of the eggs and make her start over with a new batch or, let her keep sitting on them? I had even thought about putting her in a pen by herself, so that no others could not lay in her nest, and let her start with a new batch but, I haven't decided if that's the right thing to do. The only reason that I haven't tossed the eggs she is on is from fear that there might possibly be a viable chick growing inside one of the eggs.

I know this will probably be a stupid question but, I'm going to ask anyway. I have a Cochin hen sitting on about 30 eggs (some chicken, some duck). I first found her sitting 3 weeks ago (Jan. 21) so, if any that were under her then were going to hatch, they should have done so by now. She did not have that many eggs under her at the time so I'm thinking that when she comes off to eat, another hen and duck is going on and laying. The problem is, it is VERY obvious that there are some rotten eggs under her.....you smell her before seeing her when she comes off. Should I toss all of the eggs and make her start over with a new batch or, let her keep sitting on them? I had even thought about putting her in a pen by herself, so that no others could not lay in her nest, and let her start with a new batch but, I haven't decided if that's the right thing to do. The only reason that I haven't tossed the eggs she is on is from fear that there might possibly be a viable chick growing inside one of the eggs.

You got a "Mess" and how to handle it is up to you. ""I"" would put her in a broody breaker cage being she has been setting for several weeks---who knows. This will allow her to get her health built back up as well as get herself Cleaned up. If she goes broody again or any hen----if you want a good hatch and are not familiar with what to do----just ask---I know there is plenty of people experienced with setting a broody hen for a trouble free hatch. I personally have set over 150 in 3 years and have never had a bad hatch or a nest of rotten eggs. More thats willing to help if you need it.

Last edited:
A problem for sure......
30 eggs is a lot.......I would also check eggs and only keep the most developed eggs and toss the rest out....Your Broody will waist if left to long or abandon the nest if Chicks are not hatched by a certain time....it's an internal clock they go by......

Cheers!

Thanks for replies but, my question now is, how can you tell if the eggs are developing or just bad eggs. I've never really had this problem before. Other hens have sat and hatched the eggs without problems. I didn't mention.....and it really doesn't have anything to do with her problem.....but I also have a duck sitting on a bunch of eggs just a few feet from the hen's nest. I also have a goose that has built a HUGE nest and has started laying. :)

With that many eggs and other hens coming and going, you probably had an egg crack. What ever you do do not crack it open. Handle the eggs with rubber gloves or the smell on your hands will make you gag all day.
You will probably have chicks at different stages of development when you candle. Then you have more decisions to make.

Last edited:
I thought I'd post an update. My hen sitting on the rotten eggs hatched 5 of them. When I found them, one was dead and the next day she only had 3. My husband later found the 4th chick in the yard dead....not sure what happened to either of the 2 that died. We put her and the chicks in a closed in pen and she seems to be doing fine. The rest of the eggs were tossed in our pond. Now we'll have to see how the duck does that is sitting.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Back
Top Bottom