Rotting dog house turned into Little Red Barn Coop>>>Hope you love it as much as we do

chickenfever417

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Nixa Mo
My Coop
My Coop
We had a 3x4 dog house that our dog would not use. We stuck it behind our shed and forgot about it for 2 years. The house was sat on the ground and the floor was rotting out.

One day I decided to turn it into our new chicken coop. My husband thought I was crazy. One for wanting chickens in our urban community and 2 for doing anything with this pile of crap dog house that should have been hauled away.

We put new flooring in the coop. Painted it. Used a lot of left over scarps of wood. (the wood on the run is new) everything attached to the coop was recycled. I think it turned out quite nicely.
We are so proud of our single ladies (we have 3) and cant wait till they start to lay...
celebrate.gif

Below is our 3 single ladies Production RIR, White Wyandotte and a Black Sex Link (around 18 weeks old)

we made this "Z" door out of a fence board cost us $1.34 Cut out a triangle vent hole for circulation. We have see through plastic stapled to the white trim over the top portion of the triangle. Mainly to keep the rain out. there is a lot of room between the plastic and the hole, and the bottom of the triangle is still open

two vent covers on this side and a cleaning door that opens up the hole side of the coop. I just put a big Tupperware tube under this and scoop out the pine shavings. SUPER EASY!!!

Darth chicken (as my husband calls her) wondering what in the world am I doing LOL her head has just begun in the last week to get red YAY!!! Eggs soon????

our 3 girls, White Wyandotte (Daisy) Black Sex Link (Darth Chicken) and Petunia Production Rhode Island Red in the back

As you can see we put the coop on cinder blacks so they have amore room. Another triangle vent hole on this side as well. You can see the plastic on this angle. About an inch on the bottom of the triangle is open and not covered and there is about an inch between the hole and the plastic. Keeping the rain out and venting at the same time.

we bought this nesting box online for around 20 bucks. you can see the door open. Makes collection eggs (as soon as they start to lay) easy :) You can also see the little window trimmed with an old picture frame we painted white. above that is another vent cover. I cant leave out Zeus our old German shepherd hanging out...

below is another angle of the south side of the coop. Zeus is showing off his new toy LOL

a view inside the coop through the little south side window
curious girls!!!

south side again

below is a good shot to show how the top slides off. I can stand inside and rake up the pine shavings, again making it easy to clean.

we grow a clover and grass for the spoiled girls

SO what do you think??? Any suggestions? This is our first coop. I have tried to incorporate everything I have learned but I am STILL LEARING LOL. It is amazing what a little paint and elbow grease can do.

Very nice. The only thing I would change would be to use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire but I have lots of predators here. Other wise I love it and evryone looks happy.

I did think about that AFTER I had already stapled the chicken wire up
bow.gif
Always an after thought LOL

But I think with my shepherd around things should be ok. we have a screened in porch that he stays in and watch's over the girls. He is a great guard dog. He is older though, so If we ever loose him I will definitely switch it to hardware cloth. We have been here 9 years and the only predator I have seen are the neighbor hood cats (2 of them) come to check out the coop. As soon as Zeus comes out to inspect they high tail it over the fence...
lau.gif

Great makeover! Where did you get the nesting box online for $20?

That was MY first question, too! :lol:

I think that coop is both adorable AND functional!

I smiled at your hens' names; you use their full names too. I have around seventy, all but the youngsters are named. It's a very mixed flock, so Lola Black Cochin , Molly Black Australorp, Belinda Barred Rock and her cousin Beth, Bernadette Cuckoo Marans, Rhoda Rhode Island Red, Alice Silver Sebright, and Samantha daughter of Rebecca and Carl Easter Egger are the most senior Divas.

I could go on and on, but this is just an example of a kindred mind.

They're very near Point Of Lay, btw. Whoot!

I goggled a search.

This is a link to the exact box we bought *but* not the same vender. http://www.ecrater.com/p/6859711/chicken-nest-box-outside-mount?gps=1&id=52211034499

You can find it cheaper if you spend a little time searching. We paid just over 20 bucks and got free shipping...

I for the life cant remember the vender we bought through. My husband thought it was Amazon? I don't think that's right though. Its been about 6 months ago that we bought it...
It is worth every penny :)

That was MY first question, too!
lol.png

I think that coop is both adorable AND functional!

I smiled at your hens' names; you use their full names too. I have around seventy, all but the youngsters are named. It's a very mixed flock, so Lola Black Cochin , Molly Black Australorp, Belinda Barred Rock and her cousin Beth, Bernadette Cuckoo Marans, Rhoda Rhode Island Red, Alice Silver Sebright, and Samantha daughter of Rebecca and Carl Easter Egger are the most senior Divas.

I could go on and on, but this is just an example of a kindred mind.

They're very near Point Of Lay, btw. Whoot!
Got a great giggle after I read "Alice Silver Sebright, and Samantha daughter of Rebecca and Carl Easter Egger are the most senior Divas."
gig.gif

Nice job fixing up the old dog house! It looks really nice, I love the mini barn look! it looks like you thought through the design so it is easy to use and will keep the girls safe too.

Nice job fixing up the old dog house! It looks really nice, I love the mini barn look! it looks like you thought through the design so it is easy to use and will keep the girls safe too.
Thanks! We did do a lot of research and still learning about my birds
caf.gif

Loving all of it...

Back
Top Bottom