Rouen losing feathers?

Duck Dad

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
I have a one year old male Rouen who is losing feathers. Is that normal? If not what should I do?

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
LL

Probably totally normal molting. Two of my boys who are about a year and 5 months old, are doing it too. Well, one is totally in eclipse plumage, and the other is starting. Dunno why the timing varies so much.

All 3 ducks in this pic are male. Bullwinkle, on the right, has totally molted. He hardly even had wings for a while...it was so funny to see such a big duck with such itty bitty wings, haha. Rocky, in the middle, is just starting to molt here - you can see some of the brown & black feathers coming through the gray on his side. Dexter at the far back left just got his "big boy" feathers recently, as he is only 6 months old.

Could be a normal Fall moult. Do you have pics to show us?

I wasn't sure there was such a thing until I did a bit more research and heard from you folks. I don't have pictures at the moment but he looks a lot like the guy in the middle of the picture below! I feel a lot better. He acts fine, it's just a bit scary to see the big feathers fall out. I have a hutch that is off the ground that they normally fly out of in the morning but I realize now why he has been so skittish. I also have a male swede and it looks like he's next! Thanks for the support.

Probably totally normal molting. Two of my boys who are about a year and 5 months old, are doing it too. Well, one is totally in eclipse plumage, and the other is starting. Dunno why the timing varies so much. Thank you for the reply and the pictures, the middle guy of yours looks just like mine at the moment. All is well! The attached picture is awhile ago, but those are my boys! All 3 ducks in this pic are male. Bullwinkle, on the right, has totally molted. He hardly even had wings for a while...it was so funny to see such a big duck with such itty bitty wings, haha. Rocky, in the middle, is just starting to molt here - you can see some of the brown & black feathers coming through the gray on his side. Dexter at the far back left just got his "big boy" feathers recently, as he is only 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom