Rough Month

AniaOnion

Chirping
Jul 7, 2018
Niagara Region, Canada
It's been a really rough month for me and my girls. We had to go through a long move, that both Baba Yaga and Kikimora handled like champs. Their coop got broken in the move so I had to set up a brand new one, but I got it done and set up within a few days of getting here, and in the meantime, I took them outside regularly and even let them run around in the backyard happily.

Sadly about two weeks after we were all settled in Baba Yaga started sundowning heavily and succumbed to her gout and passed away. Not wanting to leave her alone, a local farmer helped me track down someone who was rehoming four coturnix ladies. She took two and I took two and after a few days they all settled in pretty nicely and we welcomed Morana and Lady Myrtle Midday into our lives.

A week or so later, I thought Kiki got pecked in the eye, but she seemed otherwise ok. Until a few days later she started sneezing, and her eye and sinuses seemed swollen. Seemed that the new quail, which showed NO symptoms and still don't, may be carriers for Coryza.

I maxed out my budged with the move, and with vet treatments for Baba Yaga before she died, but I looked through the forums and found a farm store that had Oxytetra-a and I started her on it today. I would have done so earlier but I ended up in the hospital myself (I have Crohn's).

The poor dear seems so miserable. She keeps shaking her head, and seems disoriented, and I'm so nervous about her. I spent the last two hours drip feeding her the treated water and some mashed up fresh cabbage and thai basil with a touch of honey.

I'm really hoping she gets better.

I had been hoping to get the hens a rooster, but if they're carriers, I don't want to risk a new bird or risk potentially exposing chicks to the bacteria. This really sucks.

I would gladly take any recommendations.

Update:
She is still alive today so that's a good sign. Poor baby is so light, she feels like skin and bones.

Last night before bed, I fed her water, and put bits of cabbage in her mouth.

Today, I've been spooning water with antibiotics into her mouth periodically, as well as some mashed potatoes with one of her eggs from earlier mixed in to help build her strength.

She is having white liquidy diarrhea, but I'm still holding out hope.

She is in a quarantine box by the fireplace to keep her warm (not so close to be too warm lol).

The other two quail are looking hale and healthy. Lady Myrtle Midday is solid and every inch the hen. Morana is a bit smaller but still nice and solid. It makes Kiki's condition so much more obvious.

To be safe, I changed out their sand and a fair amount of their soil, mixing the oil soil in deep to allow the warms to compost everything.

I am very sorry to report that Kikimora passed away today. I found the poor dear submerged from the neck down in her water this morning. She was barely breathing. I dried her off and tried to warm her up, but she didn't make it.

There is a part of me that thinks there was an element of broken heart to this too. She was bonded to Baba Yaga who passed away earlier this month and she would keep looking for her. I buried them together between the roses and hydrangeas.

I am very sorry to report that Kikimora passed away today. I found the poor dear submerged from the neck down in her water this morning. She was barely breathing. I dried her off and tried to warm her up, but she didn't make it.

There is a part of me that thinks there was an element of broken heart to this too. She was bonded to Baba Yaga who passed away earlier this month and she would keep looking for her. I buried them together between the roses and hydrangeas.
So very sorry for your loss. But a lovely place to rest with her best hen friend ❤️

so sorry:hit:hugs:hit

Back
Top Bottom