10hambta

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2017
Hiya,
So I have a small flock of chickens (3 hybrids about 8months old and 2 pekin bantams about 6months old) and all has been fine until today...I was cleaning the coop out and noticed some liquidy poo which I thought was just ceacal poo - I look in it and saw a few large worms inside! After a bit if research I can say they were definitely roundworms...

One of the little ones has a pooey bum but clinically no symptoms but I'm guessing if one has it then sooner or later they all will.

In terms of treatment I have some panacur that I used a while back for an old flock - how effective do you think this would be at treating the roundworm?
I also have Amprolium (also called coxoid or coccid I think?) but I think that's just for coccidiosis and not worms...am I correct?
I also heard that a spot on treatment called Ivermectin is good...is this effective?

I didn't take a sample of the poo and worms even though I really should have done, but if I see it again I will take it to the vets. Just want to start treatment ASAP as I had previous birds go from 100% to dead in just a couple of days and this new flock is really important to me :( :(

Bottom line and final question : should I start with the panacur or buy some ivermectin for them all? all help appreciated!

(P.S there are no poultry vets near me plus im limited for time so need some immediate solutions rather than waiting for an appt with a vet far away)TIA :)

Panacur will work.
Which exact product do you have?

Corid is only for Coccidiosis and Ivermectin isn't good for worms but it will treat lice.
thanks! I have Panacur 10% oral solution for small animals (dogs, cats, kittens and puppies, as not licensed for chickens I believe)

thank you. I'll get to weighing them and calculating now. Gosh I hate putting it down their mouths, im always so worried they will aspirate it
If you can separate them each one at a time... You can squirt the medicine on a piece of bread and feed it to them.

Just be sure you keep track of who you have already given it to and be sure that each one eats it.

Back
Top Bottom