Roux Dilute/Egyptian Coturnix Quail Discussion Thread

For the past couple years I was told by another Master Breeder this was a "Lavender Roux" - Then I was asked by geneticist if it was from the Scholfield Silver import or the German Pastel import - I told him the German / he said looking at the plumage he feels it's a " Roux Diluted Lavender" but testing was needed to confirm his opinion. He does currently have that cross being compiled in his lab. He is also working with the fee gene and Roux to see the results. BUT - he feels strongly it's a " ROUX DILUTED LAVENDER" so until he proves otherwise I'm going with his opinion.
He sent me this also - this may help you understand the Roux gene.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/91bb/728f5c090cf60454b6ff9d5a026ec5695f93.pdf
Thank you.

Roux?

I know I keep asking but I'm asking because it hasn't clicked yet. View attachment 1922728

One of the weird ones, yes! Type 1 is more like the reddish ones in my pics in the first post, Type 2 are these strange silvery ones.

For the past couple years I was told by another Master Breeder this was a "Lavender Roux" - Then I was asked by geneticist if it was from the Scholfield Silver import or the German Pastel import - I told him the German / he said looking at the plumage he feels it's a " Roux Diluted Lavender" but testing was needed to confirm his opinion. He does currently have that cross being compiled in his lab. He is also working with the fee gene and Roux to see the results. BUT - he feels strongly it's a " ROUX DILUTED LAVENDER" so until he proves otherwise I'm going with his opinion.
He sent me this also - this may help you understand the Roux gene.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/91bb/728f5c090cf60454b6ff9d5a026ec5695f93.pdf

:woot Thank you so much! This is super super helpful stuff.

I love that study. I only wish there were more pictures of each. It's still better than most, but I wouldn't have necessarily guessed these were lavender roux just looking at the one picture in there - she's kind of hidden. It's on my "big list"! https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...coturnix-quail-studies.1295000/#post-21060943

So, theoretically, he/anyone else will be able to tell what extra dilution gene there is specifically if they determine whether it's a recessive (lavender) or a lethal dominant (silver), right?

I was thinking about fee + roux the other day and how interesting that might be. I'm really glad someone else is working with both of these. Limited possibilities for me with 6 breeding cages, but I crave answers.

:confused:
IMG_20191002_130255.jpg
IMG_20191002_130245.jpg

These are either german pastel or roux types but they're kinda in the middle so :confused: to you too.

German pastels don't tend to have chest patterning I don't think. I only had one and he was a tuxedo so I couldn't tell. But if they do they are probably more roux, and if they don't I would probably call them german pastels.

This one looks more like a laced blue-based something? It's the darkness around the eyes/beak/feet.

Actually, she looks exactly like a laced version of my blue+red girl. Her mom was a blue tux, her dad was a german pastel tux, and she's thrown both blues/silvers and red types.
IMG_20181227_144459385.jpg

Back
Top Bottom