Rubber band wrapped around leg of pigeon

I laughed when @Everose mentioned they might be needing some pigeons. (Paraphrase). Yep no doubt pigeon math is a thing too.🤣

Here is my one and only experience with catching a pigeon. The following incident happened back in 2015. One afternoon i looked out my window to see a beautiful white bird perched on the edge of the hot tub cover. She seemed to be looking right at me, and i didnt dare move because i thought doing so would startle her and she would fly away. 20 minutes later, i had noticed she was banded. And she Still seemed to be looking right out me. By this time i had grown impatient with holding still, so i eased the back door open. She didnt move. I stepped cautiously toward her; still she never moved. Finally i was close enough to reach out to touch and pick her up. She offered no resistance! I was shocked to say the least.

So anyway, i brought her inside, put her in a dog crate, offered her some chicken crumble and water, and set out to find her owner from the info listed on her leg band Long story shorter, she and her mate had been set loose as "white doves" at a wedding held at a ranch a few miles away from my house. Her home was also only a few miles a way. Her mate made it home, but she somehow got lost.

She was sooo beautiful and gentle, & i was completely enthralled. Returned her to her owners, and told them when i first saw her, she seemed to be looking directly at me asking for help. Their simple reply, "She was!" They offered to hatch her eggs and give me the babies as a reward. I was tempted, but declined since i already had more than enough chicks and chickens.

So the point is my one interaction with a pigeon was amazing! @RoostersAreAwesome , you had mentioned that RB was "feral." Are even feral pigeons incredibly gentle and easy to catch?! Tell us more!🙂
IMG_20150325_120455.jpg

IMG_20150326_111708.jpg

I see you’ve added another pigeon to your arsenal. Roo’s power grows. 💪🏽
Yes. Every new pigeon adds to my power… :lol:
Hi @RoostersAreAwesome i read through RB's entire thread again just now to refresh my memory. After seeing the photo again from early october, im still very surprised her dead foot is still attached. Reinforces yet again that every case is unique, & patience is the key while a dying appendage heals and separates from within.

Earlier in your thread i posted a pic of Matilda's left foot a few days before it separated, which looked very similiar to RB's foot a full month ago. (And yet RB''s foot is still attached). Below is Matilda's Right foot 2 days before it separated. As you can see in photo, her right foot never did turn completely black. Yet 2 days after photo, entire top of foot and all toes detached. And while her left foot detached 6 weeks after frostbite injury, the right foot took an additional 7 weeks After the left foot, meaning 13 weeks after initial injury. Proving that even on the same bird, each case is unique.
View attachment 2886812
Yeah, I also expected her foot to fall off by now. Do you think it could be partly because she avoids putting weight on that leg?

I laughed when @Everose mentioned they might be needing some pigeons. (Paraphrase). Yep no doubt pigeon math is a thing too.🤣

Here is my one and only experience with catching a pigeon. The following incident happened back in 2015. One afternoon i looked out my window to see a beautiful white bird perched on the edge of the hot tub cover. She seemed to be looking right at me, and i didnt dare move because i thought doing so would startle her and she would fly away. 20 minutes later, i had noticed she was banded. And she Still seemed to be looking right out me. By this time i had grown impatient with holding still, so i eased the back door open. She didnt move. I stepped cautiously toward her; still she never moved. Finally i was close enough to reach out to touch and pick her up. She offered no resistance! I was shocked to say the least.

So anyway, i brought her inside, put her in a dog crate, offered her some chicken crumble and water, and set out to find her owner from the info listed on her leg band Long story shorter, she and her mate had been set loose as "white doves" at a wedding held at a ranch a few miles away from my house. Her home was also only a few miles a way. Her mate made it home, but she somehow got lost.

She was sooo beautiful and gentle, & i was completely enthralled. Returned her to her owners, and told them when i first saw her, she seemed to be looking directly at me asking for help. Their simple reply, "She was!" They offered to hatch her eggs and give me the babies as a reward. I was tempted, but declined since i already had more than enough chicks and chickens.

So the point is my one interaction with a pigeon was amazing! @RoostersAreAwesome , you had mentioned that RB was "feral." Are even feral pigeons incredibly gentle and easy to catch?! Tell us more!🙂
View attachment 2886863
View attachment 2886876
That’s a fantail, a breed known for being docile and easy to handle. Pigeons do often “ask for help” when lost, injured, or ill (even ferals will do this). I think it really shows how intelligent they are.

That’s strange that a fantail was used for a release, as they’re also known for having poor flying skills (due to the huge, heavy tail) and having a lack of homing instincts. This means they have a much harder time getting home than other breeds. I’m glad you were able to help this one!

Rubber band isn’t what I’d call gentle or easy to catch- she doesn’t like me very much. :p That being said, I haven’t tried to tame her yet. Ferals can be just as friendly as domestic pigeons, but with adults it takes time to get to that point. I’ve heard of lots of people who have rescued orphaned wild pigeon chicks and they’ve grown up to be super tame.

My roller pigeon, Neet Neet, is my only friendly pigeon, but he’s also the only one I’ve had for more than a couple months. He lets me pick him up, pet him (occasionally), and chooses to perch on/near me.

As for catching ferals, they won’t just let me pick them up, but if they’re hungry it’s relatively easy to grab them. The easiest pigeon to catch so far was a young one with a broken leg. I actually brought that one to a wildlife rehab and it was released a few days ago!

Last edited:
Yes. Every new pigeon adds to my power… :lol:

Yeah, I also expected her foot to fall off by now. Do you think it could be partly because she avoids putting weight on that leg?
I missed your question yesterday. From what ive learned about auto-amputation, I think RB's foot hasnt yet detached because the live tissue is still healing and separating from within. (If anyone sees this thread and has more knowledge to add, please do). Although it's good shes not putting weight on it to ensure the live stump doesnt separate/isnt injured prematurely. When Matilda's right foot finally detached, i commented on her thread that she immediately became more mobile, as far as standing upright rather than staying mostly crouched down. Two knowledgeable people told me she shouldnt stand on the newly exposed stump until it had time to scab over and somewhat heal. One person said doing so could cause high blood pressure. I realize it will be more difficult to deal with a feral pigeon than a very docile older hen has far as keeping RB as quiet as possible, but wanted to let you know the expert advice i received.

This is great :lau
I’m actually planning to catch another pigeon that looks like a fantail mix. She just showed up with the feral flock, so I’m pretty sure she got lost.
I missed your question yesterday. From what ive learned about auto-amputation, I think RB's foot hasnt yet detached because the live tissue is still healing and separating from within. (If anyone sees this thread and has more knowledge to add, please do). Although it's good shes not putting weight on it to ensure the live stump doesnt separate/isnt injured prematurely. When Matilda's right foot finally detached, i commented on her thread that she immediately became more mobile, as far as standing upright rather than staying mostly crouched down. Two knowledgeable people told me she shouldnt stand on the newly exposed stump until it had time to scab over and somewhat heal. One person said doing so could cause high blood pressure. I realize it will be more difficult to deal with a feral pigeon than a very docile older hen has far as keeping RB as quiet as possible, but wanted to let you know the expert advice i received.
Thank you for the advice. Did you wrap Matilda’s foot, put her in a sling, or do something else? (Sorry if you covered this in your thread, I only skimmed it.)

This is great :lau
I’m actually planning to catch another pigeon that looks like a fantail mix. She just showed up with the feral flock, so I’m pretty sure she got lost.

Thank you for the advice. Did you wrap Matilda’s foot, put her in a sling, or do something else? (Sorry if you covered this in your thread, I only skimmed it.)
Roo catching their 5th pigeon:
37E23BAC-208D-4FE6-894A-1DE10F37AF48.gif

:0 I can’t wait to see what she looks like, she sounds like a pretty pigeon. Is there a type of pigeon you would really like to catch?

Thats ok ask any question you want. Matilda's thread was long, and i may have forgotten some of it myself. With both of her stumps, when the dead feet detached i wrapped them loosely for a couple days until they had a little time to scab over. (The initial process happens amazingly fast, but then it takes weeks for the stump to fully heal.) Did you happen to see photos of both stumps as her feet detached? The moment of detachment is gory. I sprayed her stumps with veterycin spray, coated liberally with triple antibiotic ointment, then wrapped Loosely for a couple days. After that i kept healing stumps covered with above 2 meds but left uncovered. I kept her bedded in flake shavings and scooped out poop frequently, same as one would a cat litter box. I didnt put her in a sling because i didnt think she was moving or standing upright often enough to cause a problem. But Matilda is an incredibly patient and calm hen. You will need to make a judgement call re RB when her foot detaches, as far as her aftercare.

Roo catching their 5th pigeon:
View attachment 2888093
:0 I can’t wait to see what she looks like, she sounds like a pretty pigeon. Is there a type of pigeon you would really like to catch?
I’ll be so powerful :lau
She looks mostly like a normal gray pigeon, but she has a big tail and a sort of upright posture.
I would like to help out a lost racing/homing pigeon, but I actually haven’t seen a confirmed one yet.
Thats ok ask any question you want. Matilda's thread was long, and i may have forgotten some of it myself. With both of her stumps, when the dead feet detached i wrapped them loosely for a couple days until they had a little time to scab over. (The initial process happens amazingly fast, but then it takes weeks for the stump to fully heal.) Did you happen to see photos of both stumps as her feet detached? The moment of detachment is gory. I sprayed her stumps with veterycin spray, coated liberally with triple antibiotic ointment, then wrapped Loosely for a couple days. After that i kept healing stumps covered with above 2 meds but left uncovered. I kept her bedded in flake shavings and scooped out poop frequently, same as one would a cat litter box. I didnt put her in a sling because i didnt think she was moving or standing upright often enough to cause a problem. But Matilda is an incredibly patient and calm hen. You will need to make a judgement call re RB when her foot detaches, as far as her aftercare.
I did see the stumps right after the feet detached. Honestly, I hope Rubber band’s stump doesn’t turn out like that, it looked pretty bloody.
I do plan on wrapping Rubber band’s leg once that foot finally comes off.
Once again, thank you for sharing your firsthand experience and advice!

Back
Top Bottom