Rubbermaid Shed Coop Build and Run

mediamst

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2018
Illinois
Hi everyone,

Wanted to post some photos of the Rubbermaid 7X7 shed conversion. Also installed the chicken guard automatic door.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 236
I’m in central New Jersey.
Ok I understand keeping the water in the henhouse during the winter so it doesn’t freeze as fast. But why keep feed in the henhouse?

I keep food inside because we get alot of wild birds outside , I have chain link doors to my run ... inside I don’t have to worry about mice or birds eating the feed , waters inside because it will freeze . We all adapt to our climates and predators around us :)

I think it’s awesome!
I’ve often parked near the row of outdoor sheds outside of my lowes and homedepot and thought about a conversion.
I like the idea of the type you have because once a year or so you can empty it out and fire up your pressure washer and in an hour or less you’ll have a brand new coop again (something that can’t be achieved with a wooden coop).

I’ve learned that keeping chickens is a constantly evolving endeavor.

I tweek, I modify, I change, and sometimes I change back!

You’ll figure out exactly what works for YOU and YOUR flock. We can only offer suggestions based on personal experiences.

In my opinion you have invested wisely on your set up accessories:
Your pop door and opener are awesome,
Nesting boxes are easy to clean (2 ARE plenty for for 3-6 birds)
Hardware cloth in your run is
NEVER wasted money.... :thumbsup

Things to consider: getting that heating lamp out of there ASAP.
No matter how careful YOU are, they are ALWAYS a fire hazard.
In winter you’ll read horror stories here about coop fires.

Ventilation:
I can understand your hesitancy to start cutting holes in that building!

Chickens are hot little creatures though, with body temps in the 103-109 degrees F range (depending on your sources) , and hens breathe at a rate of 30-35 times per minute.
Now THAT’S A LOT OF HOT, WET AIR! :drool :gig

It rises above the sleeping chickens in a cloud, then falls back down on them and turns to frost (and frostbite) on their combs and shoulders.

When that hot moist air they are exhaling hits the frigid winter temps of your region, that’s a considerable amount of water vapor building up in a 10-12 hr period inside a coop made of a non-breathable material.

One idea is to utilize the windows (or faux windows?) on the front doors, by neatly cutting with a jigsaw and installing hardware cloth in their place, then if you need to you can make removable panels for each door to cover it from the inside if you need to!

Just my thoughts, no criticism at all, and I’m glad you joined BYC. you’re going to like it here!

Back
Top Bottom