1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Rubbery skin after roasting?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by KatieH, May 18, 2010.

1. KatieH

KatieH Songster

Feb 17, 2010
    Indiana
    I roasted one of the meaties we butchered on Saturday last night. I did everything as I normally do, but instead of the skin being nice and crispy, it came out thick and rubbery. The meat was great so it wasn't a big deal, but I like the crispy skin! Any clue what caused it?

2. harewizard

harewizard Songster

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    sounds like you have thick-skinned birds! [​IMG]

Okay seriously now, maybe dry the skin really well with a paper towel before roasting...? Do you use oil or butter on the skin before cooking? [​IMG] Maybe try that. And no foil, unless you take it off the bird the last 1/2 hour or so.

Just my thoughts, [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. KatieH

KatieH Songster

Feb 17, 2010
    Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG]

I dried it well inside and out with paper towel, then salted the outside and inside (pepper in the cavity, too). Then I put it in at 450 for about an hour. No aluminum foil or anything. It usually works great! This one was a little older than the last one (12 and 14 weeks respectively), could that have anything to do with it?

4. jamesrm

jamesrm Featherbrained, at best!

Mar 26, 2008
    White House, TN
    Only thing I can think of it had enough of a fat layer to keep it moist during the cooking process? That is odd.

5. quercus21

quercus21 Songster

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I have noticed that the Cornish X we raise have a "thicker" skin then what we would get in the store.

6. bucketgirl

bucketgirl In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    When I roast/rotisserie, I generally prick the skin and powder the bird with cornstarch.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Songster

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:In my experience, the older the bird, the tougher the skin. That 2 weeks can make a lot of difference. I find that with a bird even just a little older like that, they turn out better if I slow roast them at a much lower temp, like 250-300 for a couple of hours, (with a lid on, so they don't dry out) then up the temp to about 400, take off the lid, and crisp the skin.

I don't usually raise broilers, but I have a batch right now. I was ill and didn't get them all butchered as soon as I wanted, so I have some slightly tougher roasters. This is how I've been cooking them, and they turned out very well.

I still haven't processed them all, but I'm getting them done, a few at a time.

8. KatieH

KatieH Songster

Feb 17, 2010
    Indiana
    Quote:In my experience, the older the bird, the tougher the skin. That 2 weeks can make a lot of difference. I find that with a bird even just a little older like that, they turn out better if I slow roast them at a much lower temp, like 250-300 for a couple of hours, (with a lid on, so they don't dry out) then up the temp to about 400, take off the lid, and crisp the skin.

I don't usually raise broilers, but I have a batch right now. I was ill and didn't get them all butchered as soon as I wanted, so I have some slightly tougher roasters. This is how I've been cooking them, and they turned out very well.

I still haven't processed them all, but I'm getting them done, a few at a time.

Sounds good, I'll try that next time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: