Rubbery skin after roasting?

KatieH

Songster
9 Years
Feb 17, 2010
Indiana
I roasted one of the meaties we butchered on Saturday last night. I did everything as I normally do, but instead of the skin being nice and crispy, it came out thick and rubbery. The meat was great so it wasn't a big deal, but I like the crispy skin! Any clue what caused it?

sounds like you have thick-skinned birds!
lau.gif

Okay seriously now, maybe dry the skin really well with a paper towel before roasting...? Do you use oil or butter on the skin before cooking?
hu.gif
Maybe try that. And no foil, unless you take it off the bird the last 1/2 hour or so.

Just my thoughts,
frow.gif

Lisa

Quote:
lol.png

I dried it well inside and out with paper towel, then salted the outside and inside (pepper in the cavity, too). Then I put it in at 450 for about an hour. No aluminum foil or anything. It usually works great! This one was a little older than the last one (12 and 14 weeks respectively), could that have anything to do with it?

Quote:
In my experience, the older the bird, the tougher the skin. That 2 weeks can make a lot of difference. I find that with a bird even just a little older like that, they turn out better if I slow roast them at a much lower temp, like 250-300 for a couple of hours, (with a lid on, so they don't dry out) then up the temp to about 400, take off the lid, and crisp the skin.

I don't usually raise broilers, but I have a batch right now. I was ill and didn't get them all butchered as soon as I wanted, so I have some slightly tougher roasters. This is how I've been cooking them, and they turned out very well.

I still haven't processed them all, but I'm getting them done, a few at a time.

Quote:
In my experience, the older the bird, the tougher the skin. That 2 weeks can make a lot of difference. I find that with a bird even just a little older like that, they turn out better if I slow roast them at a much lower temp, like 250-300 for a couple of hours, (with a lid on, so they don't dry out) then up the temp to about 400, take off the lid, and crisp the skin.

I don't usually raise broilers, but I have a batch right now. I was ill and didn't get them all butchered as soon as I wanted, so I have some slightly tougher roasters. This is how I've been cooking them, and they turned out very well.

I still haven't processed them all, but I'm getting them done, a few at a time.

Sounds good, I'll try that next time!

Back
Top Bottom