run and grape arbor combo

Daphnetree

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
My coop is coming today, it is 5X8 with a 5x6 custom designed chicken "tack" room to store their food and stuff. When I figure out how to use my new camera I will post some pictures. I will be attaching the run 4X7 foot run I used with the tractor for now, but I want to get a few more chickens (I have four), so I figured I need about 100 square foot run. I was going have one built with 4x4 cedar posts that would also work as a grape arbor. I got the idea for growing grapes around the runs from BYC, but I was wondering if anyone has done a combo run/arbor before? I am having it built so I have to come up with plans for the handyman, so if anyone has any pics I could show him that would be great.

grapes around the whole run? thats gonna be a lot of grapes. I would mix in some other things. Basically grapes will grow on anything you provide for them. So plan your run and let the grapes do there thing. I will take a few years to fill in. An arbor entrance should be simple enough for someone you hire. Cedar posts will be expensive and potentially hard to find real cedar. Do you have a local sawmill?

Sounds like a neat plan, the arbor will provide great shade and be a wonderful bug source, plus if you drop any grapes, they won't last long with chickens around
smile.png

How about attaching the coop to a 10' x 10' x 2' to 3" tall run. Build 2-3' x 10' linear arbors down each side with a walkway down the middle that is built into the run roof for access to the fruit and vines when tending and picking plus it would support a wire roof. It could be quite neat and secure but would have be stationary because you couldn't move the roots.

Might be easier to build a larger run and enclose the grape arbor and coop inside it and net the whole thing to protect the grapes from the wild birds. Then the coop could be the night security for the chickens.

Bryan's idea sounds great! I am in Florida so a coop is not needed. I built an open air pen under an existing arbor. I have vines on it but not grapes. If you plant grapes make sure it is sturdy enough to support the weight of the vines. They get heavy. You can tell it is cooler under the arbor for sure.

I have no idea but the feral chickens around here eat the grapes. I think they tend not to eat the things they shouldn't as far as plants go.

Back
Top Bottom