Run & Coop along (a sequel to my other thread)

ok..

so far it's been really wet outside, and i haven't gotten a single ounce of help, so i'm going to try and do it myself. i've been letting them free-range, despite constant complaints.. and they've been sleeping on my back porch which is sheltered from our very harsh (and it's just beginning) winter.. i think i just might rehome them all.. even though i'd hate that so much, it's probably best for them. i think i'm going to start fresh.. but my brother (who owns half the flock) says the coop is big enough and their fine with their frostbitten combs and future bumblefoot. he knows nothing. and it's finally winter break and i'm done with all of my schoolwork.. but i can't figure out who's going to give them back after it's fixed.. i even offered placing myself in infinite debt by buying a shed.. they said no, which is pretty expected.. i have 2-3 weeks off of school so that's when i'm going to start on the coop.. and worst of all, i can't do anything about his half, and i'm perfectly willing to give up my half (which is in fact less than half) if it means they live better, but i can't help his poor half of the chickens.. and iv'e talked with him about this for hours on end. somehow he owns half, but i paid for their brooder, food, i rake out the poop, i clip their wings, etc.. i don't get it.. and i think its absolutely horrible and stupid, but how do i help it?! :he:barnie

ok.. i attempted to get pictures of one of the worst.. and it doesn't look too bad, but it's still there
IMG_20211219_052706.jpg
IMG_20211219_052704.jpg
IMG_20211219_052702.jpg

Bird looks ok. I don't see any frost bite actually.

As to the housing issues.....

Have you looked at hoop coops?
They are much less costly than getting a shed and converting it.
The hard part is transporting the panels. 2panels make a structure 8'x8' and a bit over 6' tall.

Of course the ends would need closed in and wire run over the hoop to keep predators out while keeping chickens in.

This is one of my favorites.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ms-biddys-cattle-panel-hoop-coop.73755/

Bird looks ok. I don't see any frost bite actually.

As to the housing issues.....

Have you looked at hoop coops?
They are much less costly than getting a shed and converting it.
The hard part is transporting the panels. 2panels make a structure 8'x8' and a bit over 6' tall.

Of course the ends would need closed in and wire run over the hoop to keep predators out while keeping chickens in.

This is one of my favorites.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ms-biddys-cattle-panel-hoop-coop.73755/
they just have black crust on their combs, that won't come off.. i thought that's frostbite :idunno

thank you! i think i get how to make it, and i'm going to try and build a box frame out of wood.. and i'm trying to figure out a budget-friendly way to fill in those giant gaps.. i was thinking bricks but that doesn't sound right.. any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom