Run design - Fox proofing

About the PalRuf on the top of our run- I don't try to grow anything in the run, the hens would rip it to pieces. It isn't rated for greenhouse use, so I suspect some wavelengths would be blocked. If you want to grow underneath a plastic panel I'd suggest polycarbonate, make for plant growth. I grow just outside the run and bring garden items to the birds...very pleased with the roof, we're dry in there all year and it's such a treat to know I can let them out most of the winter.
cool.png

I've had 2 scary episodes with red foxes, for what it's worth. I was sweeping the barn floor several summers ago and a red fox charged in the back door and grabbed a kitten; I was so stunned that it was a few seconds before I gave chase, but the fox was already in the woods. The second time I was walking in our big field and an orange angora cat came screaming towards me out of the same woods, climbed me and perched on my head. Then it urinated. Holy cat piss what a stink, I think it evacuated its glands too. A red fox was hot on its tail and the darn thing sat down no more than 3 feet from me- it was a lush female, she cocked her head back and forth and I honestly though she was going to leap at the cat regardless of me. I was carrying a walking stick and swung it towards her- and she nearly grabbed it, but then decided to tuck tail and head away. I was badly scratched by the cat by then and tucked him inside my coat and ran for the barn. We now have latticed fox gates on the main entrances to the barn to permit ventilation but to prevent foxes from getting in. I'm a bit shocked at how bold they have become, there is lots of food in the woods but they seem to like cat. I think I showered and shampooed three times.

Evan- will you have electricity in there? And is the brick structure behind for your feed and supplies? Because you are near Canberra, adequate ventilation combined with predator control will be primary issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom