*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

The fawn and white is a homozygous recessive color. So there probably won't be any that color. If I remember correctly the runner pattern is homozygous as well so there won't be any nicely marked ones (in terms of runner pattern). I'm sure they well be a nice flock of ducks.

Hey everybody, I need some advice. I am getting my 5 runner's next week. While planning out the duck house my hubs will be building, we were trying to decide if we should add external nest boxes or not. I live in Iowa and the last winter was BRUTAL. For ease of egg collecting I would like to have one, but if the duckies don't even use them why bother? So what do you think? Should I build them, forget it and perhaps then build the house a little bigger, or do something else that I haven't considered yet?

Thanks in advance!

Hey everybody, I need some advice. I am getting my 5 runner's next week. While planning out the duck house my hubs will be building, we were trying to decide if we should add external nest boxes or not. I live in Iowa and the last winter was BRUTAL. For ease of egg collecting I would like to have one, but if the duckies don't even use them why bother? So what do you think? Should I build them, forget it and perhaps then build the house a little bigger, or do something else that I haven't considered yet?

Thanks in advance!
Brutal winter. That is important to remember. I would be most concerned with how I am going to safely keep the duck house above 35F when it's '10˚F and windy. And how long a path you might need to shovel to get to the ducks, and how to keep the water from freezing.

I would not bother with nest boxes, as ducks do not always use them. Mine lay in corners, so a couple of 2'x2' panels perpendicular to the wall, 2 feet apart would provide four additional corners - as well as the natural corners in the shelter, so everybody could have her own nest. But we generally don't have more than three nests going at once, more often just two at the most.

Those are my thoughts, and I am thrilled that you will be holding little runners.

I would not bother with nest boxes, as ducks do not always use them. Mine lay in corners, so a couple of 2'x2' panels perpendicular to the wall, 2 feet apart would provide four additional corners - as well as the natural corners in the shelter, so everybody could have her own nest. But we generally don't have more than three nests going at once, more often just two at the most.
Thanks! That was exactly the type of info I as hoping someone would offer.

Forgot to mention we have nine runners and a buff in one group, and three buffs in another. Long story.
wink.png

Just went and got two little runners yesterday! One of my others is a runner but I think he may be a Cayuga mix. Would anyone be able to tell me by looking?

Back
Top Bottom