*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

I need some help. I have 2 runners that are almost 1 year old and are fantastic. This spring I got 2 Welsh Harlequin ducklings to add to the flock. I have been trying to integrate them for weeks and it is not going well. When they were smaller, my chocolate runner would stare at them through the fence and she would start to shiver and then she would attack the fence to try to get to the chicks. I mean she really hated them. Now they are 7 weeks old and about the same size as the runners and they have turned the tables. Yesterday they cornered my chocolate runner twice and attacked her. I had to intervene. They wont let the runners in the pond either and I can’t have them in the house together at night.
I‘m not sure what else to do. They have been living together in the same house separated by fencing for 4 weeks and they are not getting used to each other. My blue runner just hides in the mint patch all day. I hate that my runners are so unhappy. Do I just need to give it more time? Is there something different to do? Or do I just need to remove the harlequins?

All four are girls. i am giving them a bit more time. I only Separate them at night in the duck house when it would be harder for someone to run away. Yesterday one of the runners finally stood up to the harlequins and chased them away from her mud hole. Things seemed to get a little better after that. We shall see what today brings.

That's great. Funny thing here my Muscovy were here long before my Runners hatched here. But my Runners can be the bullies. They don't attack my Muscovy just run them off if they get in their way. I look at it as kids on the play ground there seems to always be bullies.
Hopefully this is a turn in the right direction for your girls.

Had a fairy Runner stop by today and add an egg :love
207E4EEA-50EC-4678-A4AE-199CDE009157.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom