Runner Duck Stumbling and falls

Caitlyn0107

Hatching
Nov 17, 2021
Hi Everyone!

We are new to the world of poultry. We have 3 female khakis, 2 male runners, and 1 female runner. They are roughly 8 months old. They eat scratch and peck organic soy/corn free layer feed which we feed to both our chickens and ducks. They free range during the day in a large fenced in area and are in a coop at night.

I was putting them all in the coop last night and the female runner stumbled a few times as they were running to the coop. She stumbled on final time and laid down and let me pick her up. They are usually pretty clumsy and are not a fan of people, so its not unlikely for them to fall when moving them into the coop. I checked on her this morning, she was upright but stumbled and laid down as she tried to leave the coop with the others. She is very quiet in behavior compared to normal.

I am an ag teacher so she went to school with me today. I was thinking maybe botulism so I brought a bunch of supplies with me. I have molasses, charcoal caps (human), rolled oats, and ACV.

Ideas as to what may be going on and what I can do for her? Thank you for your help!

Hi Everyone!

We are new to the world of poultry. We have 3 female khakis, 2 male runners, and 1 female runner. They are roughly 8 months old. They eat scratch and peck organic soy/corn free layer feed which we feed to both our chickens and ducks. They free range during the day in a large fenced in area and are in a coop at night.

I was putting them all in the coop last night and the female runner stumbled a few times as they were running to the coop. She stumbled on final time and laid down and let me pick her up. They are usually pretty clumsy and are not a fan of people, so its not unlikely for them to fall when moving them into the coop. I checked on her this morning, she was upright but stumbled and laid down as she tried to leave the coop with the others. She is very quiet in behavior compared to normal.

I am an ag teacher so she went to school with me today. I was thinking maybe botulism so I brought a bunch of supplies with me. I have molasses, charcoal caps (human), rolled oats, and ACV.

Ideas as to what may be going on and what I can do for her? Thank you for your help!
Is it the whole grain or pellet scratch and peck layer feed?

I would say it's definitely a deficiency then. I honestly HATE feeds that offer the whole grain option. Why? Because it's essentially scratch with vitamin/mineral pellets and it's the equivalent giving a kid a bowl of ice cream and a salad on the side. Which bowl do you think they're going to eat?Poultry just like kids go for the "treats" which in this case is the grains and pick out the pellets. This means that they are receiving little to no nutrients. I know too many people who thought they were doing the best for their birds using the whole grain feeds and ended up with deficiencies and illnesses. Even thought scratch and peck label their feeds for ducks as well they do not contain nearly enough niacin for ducks at 27mg per pound. I would as soon as possible if you don't already pick up a comprehensive poultry supplement and a B complex from your local farm store starting everyone on it right away.

I would say it's definitely a deficiency then. I honestly HATE feeds that offer the whole grain option. Why? Because it's essentially scratch with vitamin/mineral pellets and it's the equivalent giving a kid a bowl of ice cream and a salad on the side. Which bowl do you think they're going to eat?Poultry just like kids go for the "treats" which in this case is the grains and pick out the pellets. This means that they are receiving little to no nutrients. I know too many people who thought they were doing the best for their birds using the whole grain feeds and ended up with deficiencies and illnesses. Even thought scratch and peck label their feeds for ducks as well they do not contain nearly enough niacin for ducks at 27mg per pound.
To be fair though they eat 100% of their feed, they leave nothing behind. So it isn't exactly that they are picking the treats over the salad. Is there a better feed that would be a similar concept. We went with scratch and peck for the soy/corn free due to food allergies in our home. Are there organic pelleted feeds that we could switch the ducks to?

If it is a niacin deficiency is it something I can treat at home? We don't have many vet options for ducks in our area.

When feeding other than duck feed, you have to supplement with Niacin. Ducks need more of it than chickens. Lack of sufficient Niacin causes leg problems.

When little, my duck wouldn't eat the duck feed at all. I would crush a Niacin tablet between 2 spoons, into a powder, then sprinkle a good pinch of it around on top of the layer feed. A crushed tablet lasts a few days, but it's very important that they get some daily.

When my duck got older, she would eat the duck feed, and it's balanced with the appropriate amount of Niacin.

While there may be other things going on with your duck, getting some Niacin into it's diet right away would be a good start.

To be fair though they eat 100% of their feed, they leave nothing behind. So it isn't exactly that they are picking the treats over the salad. Is there a better feed that would be a similar concept. We went with scratch and peck for the soy/corn free due to food allergies in our home. Are there organic pelleted feeds that we could switch the ducks to?

If it is a niacin deficiency is it something I can treat at home? We don't have many vet options for ducks in our area.
Durvet's B complex you can get at any farm store will treat a niacin deficiency. I have yet to find a corn/soy free feed that had enough niacin for ducks. If you need to continue the corn/soy free option scratch and peck and mile four both have pelleted options now as well, but you would need to supplement with niacin for your ducks. I contacted mile four about a niacin analysis on their fed, but last I checked they did not have an analysis done. They very well may have enough niacin in their feed, but until they have an exact amount I would still supplement.

Durvet's B complex you can get at any farm store will treat a niacin deficiency. I have yet to find a corn/soy free feed that had enough niacin for ducks. If you need to continue the corn/soy free option scratch and peck and mile four both have pelleted options now as well, but you would need to supplement with niacin for your ducks. I contacted mile four about a niacin analysis on their fed, but last I checked they did not have an analysis done. They very well may have enough niacin in their feed, but until they have an exact amount I would still supplement.
Hey there! We are currently getting a new guaranteed analysis done of all of our feeds and our scratch! Stay tuned for that :)

Hi Everyone!

Back
Top Bottom