running extension cords to coops

I have used multiple / attached extension cords to run my pond equipment (heater / fountain, etc), but this summer I found two of my extensions "fried" together ~ oops!!! ~ and now no power flows through them ~ oops again!! I put the connection into an empty bleach bottle (cut a hole in the bottom that the plugs will fit through) and set it up on a block so rain (or snow) doesn't get it. So... it can be done. HOWEVER.... anybody I think with electrical knowhow will tell you that it's not safe! Your best bet is to run an underground cable (use proper outdoor electrical wire enclosed in a waterproof pvc pipe) from your electrical box to a GFI plug in your coop. I understand this is a very "basic" operation. All I'm saying is you (and I) are taking a risk when we use extension cords outdoors for any significant period of time.

Little Ameraucana Mom, you're going to need more than just light in your coops this winter here in Indiana unless you're resigned to carrying buckets of water out to replace frozen water in waterers several times a day. Menards has fairly-large, electric water dishes for dogs; they're ideal in the winter and only cost $14. I know an electrician who'll work for $20 an hour. If you buy what you'll need and bury or string the wire yourself, it wouldn't cost all that much to have him or someone you know to connect the wire to your switch box. Also, my nearby Home Depot has a master electrician who can tell me what I need to buy for the electrician or whomever to do the job.

We had 150 foot of cords out to the coop all summer, we just got the electric hooked up last weekend.. These were heavy duty (yellow) cords from our camper.. and where the two plugged together was not covered from the elements.. we had no problems.. If you can get away with one cord You'd be great for the winter..

As an Electrician I can tell you DO NOT use extension cords EVER! extension cords are a major cause of house fires. They are for temporary use only, plug them in to run a drill or have light where you need it temporarily and unplug them as soon as your done using it. NEVER use a cord over 50' unless its 12 gauge and still only on a "in use" basis. Good extension cords that are less likely* to burn your house down are more expensive than buying the corect wire and installing it properly.
NO extension cord has a tensil strength strong enough to be suspended in the air not even for short lengths. Even most outdoor cords will deteriorate in below freezing conditions.

The best way to get power to a remote coop is to buy a coil of 12/2 UF (or larger depending on distance) and renting a trencher. You could always have an electrician make the connections.

If anyone in SE PA needs an electrician let me know!
^ Shameless plug, sorry;)

Quote:
I have an actual flood light that is solar. It lights up the entire yard as bright as my wired ones. The solar panel has several feet of wire between it and the light. You put the light inside and the panel outside! Bought it on sale at Lowe's
cool.png

Quote:
I have an actual flood light that is solar. It lights up the entire yard as bright as my wired ones. The solar panel has several feet of wire between it and the light. You put the light inside and the panel outside! Bought it on sale at Lowe's
cool.png

I just bought on at Lowes. I got it to put outside. I dont' have it up yet. But was planning on putting it up today.

If you don't mind my asking, how much was it? Who's it made by? My husband works part time at Lowe's and I was telling him I wanted to get some of these but he said he wasn't sure they had them. Well I can tell them that they do. LOL:D

Quote:
We have to use ext. cords unless we can figure out some way to get solar energy over there. Between our house and the coop sits a large configuration of leech lines, and a whole lot of other septic system stuff (for lack of a better work). We can put anything underground which is why we use the cords.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom