Runny nose and swollen face on one side, Please help

4 month old chick has runny nose on one side which is the same side with swollen face. No bubble in the eye nor sneezing. She is hunched over most time and sleeping more than usual. She eats and drink but not as much nor as active. What could be wrong with her and what can I give her?

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211116_072140.jpg
    20211116_072140.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1
TMS is antibiotic prescribed for another chicken 6 months ago, who has already finished her cycle. I have about 2 weeks worth left.
How much of the stuff did you give the bird each day and how many times each day?

TMS is antibiotic prescribed for another chicken 6 months ago, who has already finished her cycle. I have about 2 weeks worth left.
How much did the other chicken weigh? How much does this chicken weigh? Can you post a picture not the antibiotic that you have?

Yeesh, doesn't look too bad so far, but not good either.I've seen a progressed sinus infection in a pigeon before and it did not end well. There are a lot of nerves in the avian sinus cavity and even if funds aren't an issue, you'll likely have trouble finding a competent vet willing to do surgery due to the complexity of the area if it gets that far.

Poultry respond to infection the same way throughout their body - make a hard kernel, force it out. Which is why we get the famed bumblefoot kernel and hard rubbery lash eggs.

Now imagine a hard knot forming in those sensitive sinuses.

I do think antibiotic and early is the way to go, personally (though I am not a vet). I would want any infection cleared out before it gets the chance to form a hard kernel.

Yeesh, doesn't look too bad so far, but not good either.I've seen a progressed sinus infection in a pigeon before and it did not end well. There are a lot of nerves in the avian sinus cavity and even if funds aren't an issue, you'll likely have trouble finding a competent vet willing to do surgery due to the complexity of the area if it gets that far.

Poultry respond to infection the same way throughout their body - make a hard kernel, force it out. Which is why we get the famed bumblefoot kernel and hard rubbery lash eggs.

Now imagine a hard knot forming in those sensitive sinuses.

I do think antibiotic and early is the way to go, personally (though I am not a vet). I would want any infection cleared out before it gets the chance to form a hard kernel.
This is very helpful information than most. Thank you!!!!

That makes sense with hard kernel hence bumble foot.

I just got a call back from the vet who prescribed TMS, antibiotic, to a hen 6 months ago. The chick and the hen are a little over a pound difference in weight. She authorized a refill to give to the chick. A quarter twice a day with food.

She is isolated outside eating, drinking and moving around normal. I also administered some VetRX on her. Yesterday, she seems to be more lethargic in the evening, so I will bring her in then to keep a closer watch for the night.

I just got a call back from the vet who prescribed TMS, antibiotic, to a hen 6 months ago. The chick and the hen are a little over a pound difference in weight. She authorized a refill to give to the chick. A quarter twice a day with food.

She is isolated outside eating, drinking and moving around normal. I also administered some VetRX on her. Yesterday, she seems to be more lethargic in the evening, so I will bring her in then to keep a closer watch for the night.
Sounds good.

You've gotten onto it quickly and good to hear she's starting to perk up. Young pullets are much better at handling infection than older birds.

That medicine is SMZ-TMP a sulfa antibiotic. It can be helpful in treatment of coryza, but is not the best drug for mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Unless you smell a bad odor, it may be MG. That might respond better to Tylosin or Enrofloxacin. Did you see similar symptoms when the vet prescribed the sulfa antibiotic? Did it help then? If you had a chronic respiratory disease last time, there probably is not need to separate the chicken. Or you could separate her in a dog crate inside the coop for easy medicating.

That medicine is SMZ-TMP a sulfa antibiotic. It can be helpful in treatment of coryza, but is not the best drug for mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Unless you smell a bad odor, it may be MG. That might respond better to Tylosin or Enrofloxacin. Did you see similar symptoms when the vet prescribed the sulfa antibiotic? Did it help then? If you had a chronic respiratory disease last time, there probably is not need to separate the chicken. Or you could separate her in a dog crate inside the coop for easy medicating.
The hen was treated for bumble foot.

Thank you for the suggestions.
I would have to bring the chick in for tests if she does not get better in few days.
While she is not well, I'd like to bring her inside away from the hens hopefully to reduce her stress and a better rest. Also recommended by the vet.

Back
Top Bottom