1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

?'s about easter eggers or ameraucanas or araucanas, help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fowlsessed, Feb 6, 2012.

1. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis

[​IMG]

2. williab

williab Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Hope this is the right place to ask this question:)...We have a beautiful white ameraucana hen we got from a reliable breeder. This year we hatched out blue, black and splash ameraucana chicks from a different breeder...also reliable. We divided up the chicks with friends turns out my friends got the hens and I ended up with 4 roos. The neighbors and my husband will tolerate one roo not four...faced with deciding which to keep. I ended up with two blue, one splash and one black roo. So, question is if we wanted to hatch out eggs from my white hen and a roo...what would the results be for each roo? Or is that even a good idea?

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I wouldn't breed any of those roos to a white hen. You need a white roo or you'll end up with a bunch of birds that don't breed true (essentially EE)

4. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    What should I expect from a laying hen -- temperament, hardiness, eggs -- that is supposedly Ameraucana x ISA?

5. Mamabear66

Mamabear66 Out Of The Brooder

I am very new to having chickens. When purchasing my chicks, I was told I had some Ameraucana/"Americana" chicks, along with others,not that it mattered. NOW, after reading so much information, I'm going to assume that I do indeed have EE, which is not an issue. With my research of this whole "debate" of Ameraucana vs Easter Eggers, one piece of information I read was that the "rare" Ameraucana was BRED from the Easter Eggers....now this seems rather confusing. So, what is the REAL low down on this? Im happy either way. My birds are wonderful, fun and amazing. I''ve only had them a few weeks and I'm quite anxious to see what color eggs I get. They are pretty easy going and not at all aggressive, which is nice since I have little ones. I have a variety of different colors of chickens, which keeps life interesting and easy to keep track of individual chicks. YES, they are showing signs of individual personalities. I agree with previous responses, There is NOTHING wrong w EE.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. lovemychicks22

lovemychicks22 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2012
    I have americanas and they are skidish. how about yours?[​IMG]

7. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    My hatchery stock "ameraucanas"(really EE's) are very skidish, getting rid of what's left of them. and plan to get real ameraucanas in the future.

8. Mamabear66

Mamabear66 Out Of The Brooder

Well, Im back! and I have EEs BUT now I also have REAL Araucana, too...finally! I NOW know the difference between Araucana, Ameraucana and EE...my EEs are very skiddish but love having them in my free range flock...you certainly dont know what you're getting just by looking at the chicks. Mine aren't laying YET, a few more weeks...but Im excited to find what colors they will lay. I'm hoping to get MORE EEs via my Araucana. This has been quite an experience having chickens and I have learned a lot...still learning! NOW I have several breeds of chickens.

9. roostercogburn2

roostercogburn2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    i heve rir hens and registered ameraucana rooster if they breed will the chicks hatch from blue eggs[​IMG]

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Not really understanding your question.

RIR lay brown eggs, so no your chicks will not hatch from blue eggs.
    If you are asking if the offsrping of RIR and Ameraucana will lay blue eggs then you have a 50/50 chance that they (probably not all though) will lay blue eggs.

Never heard of a rigistered Ameraucana. I don't thnk that there is a registry for chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by