(S)he's an odd bird...

I’m going with the pullet group. And I think she is beautiful maybe just has a shot of “larger than standard fowl” and just hasn’t started laying yet. Could be she is at an awkward stage. She is mixed so it is possible she has some Marans and is going to take 7 months to lay. Mine started laying earlier but I had some super-sized ones that took longer to mature.

I’m going with the pullet group. And I think she is beautiful maybe just has a shot of “larger than standard fowl” and just hasn’t started laying yet. Could be she is at an awkward stage. She is mixed so it is possible she has some Marans and is going to take 7 months to lay. Mine started laying earlier but I had some super-sized ones that took longer to mature.
Thank you! 💕🌱

I will update y'all when/if she starts laying. Curious to see what her eggs look like if she's part Maran and part EE! Dark olive?

Last edited:
I live in Costa Rica so there is no "winter" but that would be cool if she gives me pretty eggs!

By the way: I'm getting 5 eggs, 4 eggs, 5 eggs, 4 eggs daily. I wonder how many I'll have when all 8 are laying? They are all random/mixed barnyard breeds.
LOL. I have 20+ birds and sometimes don't even get 12 eggs a day. But that is due to lack of daytime hours here. Certainly not a worry where you are. Your birds might not be EE's. Not sure if they have those there. Though they are easy to make by mixing breeds.

View attachment 2547159View attachment 2547161View attachment 2547162View attachment 2547163
Ok here you guys go. I hope these are helpful as y'all are pretty divided. 😅🐔🙏🏽
She looks around 4-6 months old, which means that she is probably pretty close to egg laying. However, different chickens lay at different times than others, so it still might be a while.
The darker one is a hen. It's an Easter Egger type and they have very small combs. There are no saddle hackles so it is not a rooster. Color does not identify a rooster. Can't see the other one well but it also looks like an EE hen. These are young birds and it takes them a while to lay. Especially across winter when they don't really lay at all. Give them time and they will be laying. The pointy feathers on the neck alone don't mean anything. My EE's all had pointy neck feathers.
EEs usually have pea combs, this pullet has a small single comb.

Back
Top Bottom