sad day for me.... stupid neighbors complained on me...

Addison

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
two of my roosters that were supposed to be hens have been crowing excessively and the neighbors finally complained to me.
The animal control officers came by and checked them out. Said it was fine for us to keep them but we have to do something with the nuisance. if we get another complain we will get cited and go to court. so i have no choice but to give them to a new home. really sad cause i am really attached to them. dont understand why my neighbors would complain cause i can barely hear them in my house. i just dont understand... sorry just wanted to vent. i mean really... they are not that loud.

I love the sound of a roo crowing and yet have to cringe on the rare occasion mine does because I worry the neighbors might complain, despite the fact that their dogs have incessant shrill barking all the live long day. That double standard must be exposed and eliminated!
Anyway, I have an insulated coop which makes it almost impossible for anyone to hear the roo during the times of year when windows are closed (either because it's cold out or because people have their AC on). Can you try insulation of you haven't already? Do they generally just crow early a.m.? That's when mine sometimes crows, along with a bit of crowing on a day so nice it's worth crowing about. I know that means he's happy and yet I rush to stop him by distracting with treats or whatever.
Good luck.
JJ

Hmmm..I see you mentioned excessive crowing - so even when they're out and about? Are they competing with each other?

Last edited:
I agree with Mrs. Puff. Some people are just grouchy. So sorry it turned out this way for you. Now just pray really hard that your neighbors will move.
hugs.gif

That's sad. I have a grouch neighbor, but since the guy across the street has nothing but roosters (and somewhere around 50 of them) and the 3 neighbors behind and on the other side all have roosters, I better not come just to me if he complains.

We have extra roosters awaiting processing, and I'm a nervous wreck waiting for my neighbors (even though they're not too close) to complain, because ours are crowing ALL NIGHT LONG, every night! They even wake my daughter up sometimes.

I'm sorry your neighbors are fussing over relatively little noise. In one way, it's good to have an early warning as to what kind of neighbors you're dealing with, though.
hmm.png

why is this your neighbors fault? just because they don't bother you, doesn't mean they don't have the right to find them a nuisance.

not trying to be snarky, but there are tons of posts just like this all the time. people just cannot BELIEVE their neighbors don't like/want to hear the chickens that the law/ordinance/rules/whatever say you cannot have.

another reason to be a responsible owner of animals....KNOW the rules before bringing it home. sorry you will go through the hassle, but it is what it is.

The people that complained probably have some yappy dog that barks all day and all night.

Rufus

I'm sorry that they complained to animal control and didn't just come to talk with you first. That would have been the neighborly thing to do.

BUT, I'd like to share something: although I can see my kids out by the barn and yell out to them... they can't hear me and I can't hear them. However, we have neighbors that live over 1/4 mile away and I can often hear them when they are standing outside their house talking and actually understand what they are saying! I think it's a different acoustics. Why can't I hear people talking by my barn but can hear the neighbors so much farther away?????

So, it's possible that although you can't hear your roos very much... they could be very loud and annoying to non chicken people.

I also have a Newfie that was given to me years ago because he sat and barked in his outside town backyard... his owners hardly heard him in their house but when they were at their neighbors once ... it sounded like he was in their living room!

Back
Top Bottom